A Couple of Sunsets

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Davie Hudson, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Davie Hudson

Davie Hudson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

3. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

I'd agree with Brian!
    The first is a nice enough shot, but it's well over shadowed by the second!
    Rally a very nice exposure!

4. Davie Hudson

Thanks guys, when i shot the second one i promised myself i'd never publish a new sunset until i got it better than that one, and up till now i havent :)

5. Darren Turner

Darren Turner XProPhotographer

agreed & as above no 2 is very impressive......!!

Nice work Davie

6. Tony Rook

Tony Rook New Member

The first shot looks fantastic from the sky... but the lower foreground becomes drowned out - and doesn't seem to feel connected. Whereas, the second shot has a connected feel that completes the image. Good work!

7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

In general I agree but I love the painterly sky in the first and I'd crop it so only the silhouette of the hills remained in the foreground. Almost looks like a Van Gough sky!

8. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Two is super definitely but I think one works really well with the rock outcrop cropped off from the bottom. Anyone else?

9. Dan Cattermole

Dan Cattermole Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble

It's number two for me Davie! Did you use the 14-42mm on those shots??

10. Davie Hudson

i did use the 14-42 for these yes, though i do use manual lenses when the need arises... a bit lie yourself looking at your signature :)

11. Davie Hudson

thinking back I'm pretty sure the first picture was a sunrise and not a sunset, i seem to remember standing on a little beach at 5am lol

12. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

May be it was just a very late night!! :)

13. Davie Hudson

haha yeah something like that, I used to work nightshift and had a habit of working sunday night overtime till 2am, then i'd drive straight from there up the highlands and wait for sunrises

14. Dan Cattermole

It's a great standard lens! Good wide angle on it. A friend has a canon with an 18-55 and couldnt quite fit a panoramic tower in the frame peaking the camera through the boundary fencing, smugly I could and with room to spare :)
    I'm hoping to get the 9-12mm ultra wide angle soon. :)
    Could you reveal a list of other lenses you have?

15. Davie Hudson

course i can ,

Super Paragon 28mm 1:2.8
    Olympus Digital 14-42mm Kit Lens
    Olympus OM 75-150 1:4
    Miranda 75-300 1:4.5
    2x Converter

16. Dan Cattermole

Great stuff!! I've yet to update my signature, But I got myself this lens that fits straight on the my OM-4/3 adaptor, it has an uunusual open aperture of 2.5. Must admit I've never seen that before, but it's great! Good results and it's a macro

[​IMG]

17. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

These older budget lenses can be excellent on crop frame sensor cameras as only the central part of the glass is used. It is much easier to polish the center of a lens than the edges.

18. Hamish Gill

Dan

18mm on a canon is equiv 28.8mm
    14mm on yours is equiv 28mm

your pal was being a plonker! :)

19. Dan Cattermole

Hhhhmm, I dunno Hamish, the tower had a circular fencing around it, I tried to take a landscape shot with his camera at the time at 18mm and it so happened that he, or myself couldn't get the tower in frame, but I put my Oly in the same position (both on tripod) and mine at 14mm and got it all and some in shot, only in this case I may have to disagree with you by saying my 14mm is noticeably wider than a canon 18mm only because ive witnessed and try to challenge it my self. I know I'm now gonna get an ear bashing with sensor sizes now haha!! :p

20. Hamish Gill

I'm not gonna bash any ears matey!
    I dont really know what to say, your experience doesn't match the maths... :)
    There should be no real difference between the 2 lens/camera combos
    Are you sue it was an 18-55? not a 28-80 or something?