Doronicum Orientali in the garden

Discussion in 'Flora' started by Shaun Haselden, May 4, 2020.

1. Shaun Haselden

Shaun Haselden Active Member

Back in the 1970's I spent a great deal of my time photographing flowers and such like. Much later in years I started photographing wild flowers such as Arum Maculatum using medium format, winning numerous awards and trophies at local photographic society level. Here is a shot taken during the boredom of lockdown using a cheap Tamron zoom for it's low contrast imaging. I have toned it as in those early days I printed heavily onto Agfa Record Rapid for it's beautiful chlorobromide warmness. Medium/large format printed onto those old papers produced amazing photographic prints of incredible depth and tone the like of which I think we shall not see again.

Attached Files:

2. Shaun Haselden

Another shot of poppy buds early in the year. This one was shot using a Samyang 85mm f1.4 lens but with the camera in DX mode. For me, this is just too sharp.

Attached Files:

3. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

A agree, the softer tones of the first work so much better.

Shaun Haselden likes this.
  4. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Oh, that first one is just perfection.

Shaun Haselden likes this.
  5. Shaun Haselden

Thank you guys. Rob all I try to do is to mimic a collection of photographic images I saw back in the 80's taken by Blakemore. He had a few on show that he had taken in New Zealand using 5X4 sheet film with low contrast and that is where I found it; low contrast with delicate tones using cheap lenses. I could well be wrong but I find that modern lenses (most but not all) have the most ridiculously high contrast and sharpness especially for certain types of shooting.

Rob MacKillop likes this.