somewhere in wales

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Hamish Gill, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

This was the first of my holiday photos so thought id give it a run through lightroom see if i could come up with anything

[​IMG]

2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Nice tones Hamish. Very foreboding.

3. Dan Cattermole

Dan Cattermole Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble

Lush!!!!

4. Darren Turner

Darren Turner XProPhotographer

Impressive view & well taken photo of the Mighty Cader Idris.............woop woop........!!

Not over keen on the subdued colours of the greens at a guess in PP but i do love them clouds

I live just up the valley to bottom left of this shot..... that awesome mountains is in my garden.

Great view there, at a guess parked in the laybye's on the A470 to Dinas Mawddwy.....??

5. Hamish Gill

ill take your word for it buddy ... well recognised though ... theres a lot of hills out there ... im not sure i could tell them apart really!
    Im not 100% about the colours either to be honest... need to have another go on my screen at work i think! ... the lappy isnt up to it really!

6. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Very nice comp Hamish - I like the lines created by the hedges in the foreground, which then transfer to the lines created by the mountains, which then transfer to the lines created by the clouds - if you get what I'm saying...

I think it might look stunning as a B&W?

7. Hamish Gill

I did try b&w but it ended looking a bit confused ...
    I'll have another go though ...
    In fact ... At some point I might upload the raw ... I'd be interested to see what others do with it ... You be up for a go Chris?

8. Darren Turner

i wanna go.........!!

9. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Now that is a hell of a Landscape shot! The clouds are a bit OTT for my taste but thats probably just me. I think that it would look out of place in the Landscape Photographer year book.

10. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Sure - I'll have a go at trashing it for you! :)

11. Glen Roberts

Glen Roberts Well-Known Member

I like the shot but not keen on the muted colours. I prefer my landscapes with a bit of vibrancy to the colours, each to their own I guess...

12. Hamish Gill

13. Hamish Gill

i really need to see what it looks like on my proper screen ... i have muted the colours slightly ... but not a lot i didnt think ... ... have a go at the raw if you like Glen!

14. Hamish Gill

A slightly better sharpened version with a border

[​IMG]

15. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Here's my initial attempt but I think I prefer your 1st one but with the clouds not so dark and contrasty.

[​IMG]

16. Dan Cattermole

Dan Cattermole Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble

Could I have a go please??! Wouldn't mind unleashing a few ideas in mind.... :)

17. Hamish Gill

Yeah, help your self!
    Nice version Paul ... Probably a little more "real" than mine I think

18. Paul Lange

Paul Lange Moderator

Cheers, I do like the variation in tones on the land in yours though. I've been trying to work out how to do it in PS. I'm now looking at these on my laptop and it's amazing how different they look. You have to wonder sometimes if any of us actually see the same picture that gets posted.

19. Hamish Gill

I wouldn't have a clue in Photoshop! I thought you had lightroom??
    "see the same picture that gets posted"? You mean how we perceive it?

20. Darren Turner

[​IMG]
    My Attempt With Your RAW