The Canal (again) First successful 'Blad shots

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Hamish Gill, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hamish Gill

Hamish Gill Well-Known Member

Photo angels ... I like that!!!

2. adrian jordin

adrian jordin Member

Try rigging up a drying tent - 2 metal cothangers and a sheet (Blue Peter styley.. :))

3. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I still there is too much for it to be dust and they look slightly crystal like. I may well be wrong, but I still think they are deposits from the chemistry. Do you do dev, stop and fix? How long do you wash for?

4. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

Actually saying that Pete could it be temperature related, if solution is too cold or even too warm???

5. Hamish Gill

chems were 24 degrees
    dev 4 mins
    stop 1 mins
    fix 5 mins
    rinse flowing water for 15 mins

6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I had wondered. If it cools while the process is running you could get components dropping out. That's why I wondered if Hamish used a rinse instead of stop as I know some people do. If the water is too cold it can cause deposits to form.

7. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

Maybe stored in a cold environment, that would cause issues too I always aim for 20 degrees +/- 1 degree for processing too

8. Hamish Gill

yesterday was deved at 20 degrees!
    its stored under the sink ... its not warm in there ...
    Im sure its just dust you know ...

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I always use 24ºC too as it is much easier to control a higher temperature than one nearer ambient. I assume that is quite concentrated to need only 4 mins. Usually I use ca 30s for stop and about 2-3 mins for Fix. 15 mins for rinse is fine.

You are probably right Hamish. I haven't developed a film outside of a dedicated darkroom using filtered water and a drying cabinet fed with filtered air for years and the only times I have had problems it was due to chemical deposits and a compromised water filter. Looking at the top of my CD player I certainly wouldn't want to try and develop a film in my house!! :)

10. Hamish Gill

4 mins does seem short eh 1+9 dilution ... I had to check the time I few times before I was certain
    Aside from the dust I'm actually over the moon with the results
    FP4 and ilfosol 3 seems to be a good combo
    Very smooth images I think with nice tones
    Leaner a few things about optimising the scanning for a good starting point for a touch of pp too!
    PanF next I think :)

11. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Oooo just look at all that quality - very nice Hamish :)

I'll be interested to see what you think moving from FP4 to PanF.

I get some spots like these on the first and last negs in the strip - not every time, but enough for me to expect to see them when I get the scans back from the lab.

So I assume it's handling for mine?

Copious amounts of healing brush in PS sorts them out.

12. Hamish Gill

Just ordered some more chems and some stainless steel spirals and tanks from SDS as I understand they should be a little easier to use for 120mm ... That should eliminate some of my more serious issues!
    I had a chat with him about the spots, he said he could only think of dust as being a cause and recommended a drying area of some sort ... He had some things that were suitable but they started at £100 ... Stuff that for now, I'll use the "Copious amounts of healing brush" technique I think ;)

I have a roll of hp5 in at the mo, I'm going to dev it and a roll of D400 both pushed to 3200 in ddx (also ordered today) to see how they turn out and which I prefer!

... Then PanF!

I'm looking forward to the panf results from seeing yours ... Defo! ... It's just the weather that's causing me issues :/

13. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

You need to order-up some sunshine to go with the new dev kit Hamish! ;)

14. Hamish Gill

15. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Canon user

Nice photos Hamish :)

16. Hamish Gill

Cheers mark ... Did you see I posted the un-pp'ed version for you ...

17. Mark Grant

Mark Grant Canon user

I did notice and will comment on that later on the other forum :)

18. Robert L. Bishop

Robert L. Bishop New Member

Lovely photos mate. First one is my favourate. Can't wait to try it out ;-)

I can never get all my equipment clean. No matter how hard I try!

19. Hamish Gill

Your more than welcome to have a go with it matey!
    Gonna get a service on it in the next few weeks I think... But after that we should go out with it!
    I'll get a second back for it so you can load a film for your self and we can swap between the 2