The Citadel Revealed

Discussion in 'General' started by Pete Askew, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

An abandoned apartment block in Halle Neustadt. It is not all this grim and many buildings have been renovated, but the glory days of this new city of the DDR are long gone and a stark contrast with the old city across the river.

Halle Neustadt-1.jpg

Leica M10 + 35 mm Leica Summilux f1:1.4. ISO 200, 1/1000s at f1:8.0. PP in LR / PS / Nik ColorFX Pro 4.

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

Well captured, lots of interesting lines and angles. That bit does look grim. Looks sad too, to think that was once people's homes and shop, now fallen into decay.

3. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Thanks again, Dave. Other parts of the complex were in a better state. I'll post more soon, but this was the one that give the first impact of the 'new' city.

4. John Holland

John Holland Active Member

Definitely has that grunge, neglected vibe to it.

5. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

It has an oppressive vibe, and the "beauty" of the models furthers a feeling of alienation, remembrance of times lost. Excellent framing, of course. They eye wants to dwell on it for a while...

6. Aldous Lau

Aldous Lau Well-Known Member

Nice angle and tone Pete. Are you able to enter the abandoned building?

7. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I didn't try, but I doubt it.

Thanks, Aldous.

8. Steve Boykin

Steve Boykin Well-Known Member

I wonder when that was built? It's sort of Eastern Block version of LeCorbusier Unite? Is is all reinforced concrete? It looks like it has brick also. Really nice photo!!!

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Aldous Lau likes this.
  10. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

sweet photo. love the lines and angles and general feel of abandonment.

11. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin