The Master and the Apprentice

Discussion in 'General' started by Chris Bennett, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Chris Bennett

Chris Bennett Active Member

The Master and the Apprentice1.jpg

Despite having large sums invested in musical recordings and the equipment designed to accurately reproduce it, I had a road to Damascus moment in 2005, while attending a Neil Young concert:
    There is no point.
    Nothing can approach the sound of a real performance. Enjoy music in the home, but don't try to fool yourself that it even comes close to the real thing.

Pete Askew likes this.
  2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Which is which?

I've never thought for a second that my home hifi was trying to replicate a live sound. Quite often live sounds are awful. Though I remember well seeing Neil Young in Glasgow when I was about 15. He had a support act no one had heard of, called Lynard Skynerd (sp?). He then played acoustic solo for an hour, then came on with with Crazy Horse to play his new album, Zuma. Epic night.

3. Chris Bennett

The cello, is the master Rob. Even in the case, it leaves the apprentice slightly in the shade and just a little bit fuzzy round the edges!

4. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Stupid me - I thought they were both speakers. Now I get your point. Doh!

So who plays the cello?

5. Chris Bennett

My daughter plays, but that's not her instrument. It belongs to Vincent Belanger and he was giving short performances in one of the exhibitor rooms at the North West Audio Show at the weekend.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  6. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

And I thought you'd bought new speakers!

I agree entirely, Chris and I like the way you have reflected it in the image.

7. Chris Bennett

Thanks Pete.
    No, there is no room in my house for any more speakers. 2 pairs in use in different rooms and another 7 or 8 pairs getting in the way of my wife!
    Bless her though, she is a saint - the pair in the main system alone are bigger than most wives would countenance.

Pete Askew likes this.