Water Lily

Discussion in 'Flora' started by Rudi Venter, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Rudi Venter

Rudi Venter New Member

I thought it was time I posted something other than a landscape :)

I Came across a little pond with a few of these water Lilies while hiking last weekend. Image created with a Canon EOS 7D and a Canon 100-400 L IS lens @ 400mm hand held as the Lily was far from the edge of the pond.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking!
    Rudi

2. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Wow, what a flower. And great to see it in its natural environment. Are they beetle in amongst the staemens?

3. Rudi Venter

Rudi Venter New Member

Thanks Pete, yes, an amazing flower! Yes, it is a beetle, one of several around the flowers.

4. Dan Cattermole

Dan Cattermole Dan Down - The Steampunk Womble

WOOWW!!!! very nice!!!!!!!

5. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

Fantastic colour and saturation - was it overcast or did you wait till late in the day?

6. Rudi Venter

Rudi Venter New Member

Thanks Dan and Chris.

It was an overcast day Chris, photo taken around 10am.

7. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I need to get it into my head that overcast days are great for saturated colours - especially with flora

I usually just look grumpy and leave the camera at home!

8. Rudi Venter

Rudi Venter New Member

Overcast days are great, even for landscapes as long as you exclude the sky! It allows you to shoot the whole day with good results. In this case it also helped with the heat, even in late summer like now we still had around 37C the day before and after, with the overcast it was around 30C!

9. Ralph Thornton

Ralph Thornton Well-Known Member

I guess I'm like Chris in that I often don't shoot on overcast days. Rudi, your excellent capture of the Water Lily ahould teach me a lesson.