Coffee Break

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Rob MacKillop, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

cafe 1.jpg

2. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Lovely silhouettes in this Rob.

3. Rob MacKillop

The one on the right is Susan. DP2M (forgot to mention) with in-camera B&W.

4. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

I actually though it might be Rhona.

5. Dave Young

Dave Young Active Member

Super crisp Rob, love the processing on this :)

6. Rob MacKillop

Rhona's about twice the height of Susan these days!

7. Rob MacKillop

Cheers, Dave. I did a little contrast increase and darkening in Sigma Photo Pro.

8. Tom Dunne

Tom Dunne Well-Known Member

Love the composition here Rob. Personally I feel there is a little too much of the image in blackness. But that's the way it happens with these type of shots.

9. Rob MacKillop

Don't lose sleep over it, Tom. Have a coffee :D

10. Tom Dunne

OK I'll have a coffee.o_O

11. Aldous Lau

Aldous Lau Well-Known Member

Love the processing Rob, thanks for your sharing

12. Rob MacKillop

Cheers, Aldous.

13. Tom Dunne

Rob, I've looked back at my comment to see what it is I've said to receive another one of your short and dismissive sounding comments. The smiley never compensates for this.
    Perhaps I should have completed the last sentence with "where there is heavy back lighting" but I did not feel it was necessary. It is my understanding that images are posted to generate comment (hopefully a bit more substantial than Cool, Nice ,like etc) which I always try to do in a constructive, honest and courteous manner. I would have thought constructive could possibly include negative as well.
    I've had my coffee and now I'll stop worrying.

14. Rob MacKillop

Tom, we have the choice when we start a new thread to state whether we want a critical discussion. The three categories are Critique Required, Critique Welcomed, and Just For Show. I've never once (if I remember correctly) used these prefixes, as I don't mind if people want to criticise or applaud; either way this is the photo I have chosen to share.

I don't mind constructive criticism, and have learned a lot from those who have kindly offered the benefit of their experience.

When you say, "Personally I feel there is a little too much of the image in darkness", that did not strike me as constructive criticism, or even an invitation to debate. It is just your personal feeling. I respect you for it, and feel no need or compulsion to question or challenge it. Nor did I feel a need to defend my aesthetic choices.

I learned through being a musician that you can only please some of the people some of the time, so I never ever try to change people's minds, bring them round to my way of thinking. If I don't like something I see in someone's photos, I try to be positive in my own images, let my work say how I think things should be.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  15. Pat Reehal

Pat Reehal Active Member

This charismatic shot reminds me of the work of the great Denley Moor photographer, Eric Olthwaite.
    His work was inspired by his mother's black pudding. A pudding so black that even the white bits were black.:p

Just shows what that 'brick with a lens' is capable of Rob! Super stuff which has a 'Scherenschnitte' feel to it and which, if cut out and remounted on foam pads, would take on a decoupage or 3D effect.

Pete Askew and Rob MacKillop like this.
  16. Tom Dunne

Thanks for taking the time to reply Rob. And I do appreciate it.
    My words on the darkness in the image was me expressing my opinion but I feel now I have to be careful.
    Other than that there's not a lot I can disagree with in what you've said, but none of it is the point.

I enjoy putting effort into talking about everybody's work here. If you are unhappy about any comment or observation I make please tell me and I would always elaborate and explain if requested; I would prefer this rather than a few dismissive words with a smiley.
    I feel I should not be posting this here as it is unfair to other members but I am not aware that PM is available on this forum.
    Anyway I won't continue this.

Pat Reehal likes this.
  17. Rob MacKillop

Haha. Oh, I do like a bit of black pudding, Pat! But I'll have to look up scherenschnitte!

Pat Reehal likes this.
  18. Pat Reehal

Pat Reehal Active Member

Cut about young Jock. Cut about!

19. Douglas McMann

Douglas McMann Well-Known Member

Great silhouette image Rob. I note you've used "in-camera" B&W...is this better than going with Silver Efex...???

20. Pat Reehal

Pat Reehal Active Member

Thats a great point because if it is in-camera then it just adds to the astonishing results of the Merrill's.

I must admit that after seeing Rob, Julian and Pete's work with the various DP's I am even more convinced that I need to get one and try. I think that I am erring towards the 2.