Edinburgh Botanical Gardens

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Rob MacKillop, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

2. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

and who said the learning curve is steep?

Nice shots Rob, Lady in Red is interesting and a good observation..so you are enjoying the X100 then

3. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

He's up and running! - So the posty didn't steal it then ;)

Loving the repeating pattern in the greenhouse roof shot

That thing looks scary Rob :D

4. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

5. Rob MacKillop

6. Chris Dodkin

Chris Dodkin West Coast Correspondent

I like the frame version - always put them on mine after Pete pointed out how much better they make most shots look :)

7. Rob MacKillop

I agree, and it gives an edge, so to speak, to the dull white cloudscape.

8. Kev Pugh

Kev Pugh Well-Known Member

Better with Rob, I think it just adds to the image and looks like you (we) have put a bit of thought into the pp rather than just dropping an image onto the page...

9. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Very nice shots Rob. Love the Woman in Red. I reckon a spot of straightening and a slight increase in saturation (maybe even a touch of gausian blur) would improve it further though. What do you think? Like the frame. One thing I often do with frames (I assume you used canvas size) is to pick a dark tone from the image rather than just using black - makes it look more like part of the original process (not an issue in this instance though).

10. Rob MacKillop

Good, helpful comments, Pete. You guys are my university :D

11. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

You're welcome. Try a curves adjustment on the roof and make it 'S' shaped. I think you'll find the sky / roof contrast will balance better. You can do it as an adjustment layer (the little half black / half white circle in the layers panel) and then you can tweak it to get it just as you like it. Or have you worked that out already - sorry if you had!

12. Vic Shaw

Vic Shaw Senior Member

I too like the Lady in Red and I'm with Pete a little bit of work on that and it would look great.

The border looks good to, I would crop a little of the bottom quite close to the base of the tree. It seems to give it a different feel when cropped that way.

and the two sheds shot did make me think of this Monty Python - Arthur 'Two Sheds' Jackson - YouTube

Vic

13. Rob MacKillop

Well, I just did this in my beta LR4, but I can't see how to Save the changes, other than Export. But now it is only 240 kb. Anyway, here is the cropped version with +11 on the saturation dial:

[​IMG]
    Lady In Red-1 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

14. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I really do like this shot Rob. Might b tempted to lose the girder at the top as, although it adds a frame, this would make the whole image a bit more s=mysterious I think. What about you?

You don't need to save the file - it does that automatically. The effects are only actually applied when you export or print etc. In the file/export option you can change the type of file, size, colour space (use sRGB for uploading) etc.

15. Rob MacKillop

Not sure about losing the girder, but I'll give it a go and compare.

Completely lost re your comment about S bends and layers. We've very quickly reached the stop point in my knowledge of PP :D

16. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

17. Rob MacKillop

Thanks, and thanks also to Vic - all good comments.

18. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

In case it helps. This is in CS5 but CS3 looks similar.

[​IMG]

19. Rob MacKillop

20. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Excellent! Love that psychedelic sky - must be all that solar fare activity!! ;) Sleep well (under that storm of charged particles up there!!).