Inner Space Meets Outer Space

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by Tony Britton, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Tony Britton

Tony Britton Active Member

When I last visited the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, Califronia, my primary interest was jellyfish. I wanted to create the effect of an image you might see in astrophotography similar to photographs of deep space nebulae. I waited for this jellyfish to move into good light.

By using a relatively fast shutter speed of 1/500 and "negative" exposure compensation, the jellyfish remained well-lit while the area surrounding the jellyfish darkened. The particles floating within the tank took on the appearance of "stars" and the lovely, subtle patch of blue is due to the color of a wall within the display. Hand-held, no cropping.

Tony

[​IMG]

Beth Anthony likes this.
  2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Why look for aliens out there, when there is a wealth alien life here on Earth? Another fine shot, Tony.

3. Tony Britton

It certainly has a science fiction movie "Take me to your leader" feel about it!

Tony

4. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Wonderfully effective, Tony and I think you achieved your objective perfectly. I can almost hear Captain James T in the background!

5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Nicely done!

6. Beth Anthony

Beth Anthony Well-Known Member

i've seen this movie. it doesn't end well.

Pete Askew likes this.
  7. Ivar D. Larsen

Ivar D. Larsen Well-Known Member

A marvelously well made image which certainly does not apply to the comments I see here from some. No name mentioned.:D But I'll give them that, it is as if in space. Very creatively done.

8. Milan Vjestica

Milan Vjestica Well-Known Member

Very well done and thank you for sharing the settings. Something to try when I next go to an aquarium.

9. Tony Britton

Thanks very much, Pete. Jellyfish are such mesmerizing creatures. Out of this world, in this case!

Tony

10. Tony Britton

Thanks very much, Brian.

Tony

11. Tony Britton

Thanks for looking and commenting, Beth.

Tony

12. Tony Britton

Thanks very much, Ivar.

Tony

13. Tony Britton

Thank, Milan. It was a fun project!

Tony