Critique Welcomed Two Union Square

Discussion in 'Landscape and Architecture' started by Brian Moore, Apr 16, 2021.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

2. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Great comp., Brian. Very pleasing on the eye as it traverses the space. You’ve always been good at architecture, but I think you’ve hit a very creative vein at the moment. Keep up the great work.

Brian Moore likes this.
  3. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

I appreciate that very much, Rob. Thank you.

4. John Holland

John Holland Well-Known Member

Brian, do you consider this an use of the Dutch Angle/Tilt? It does make the composition eye catching.

Brian Moore likes this.
  5. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks for your comment John and also for your question. I never thought about the Dutch Tilt until you mentioned it here; it's a good question.

As I recall, I did, in fact, tilt the camera to get the entire building in, but I tried to give the illusion that the building was square to the frame by making the line of the lower building horizontal. I was hoping it would seem like how you see a tall building when you're up close and look straight up. Maybe I'd call it a "Scotch Tilt." :rolleyes:

Thanks again, John.

Rob MacKillop likes this.
  6. John Holland

John Holland Well-Known Member

Scotch Tilt -- I like it.

Brian Moore likes this.
  7. Rob MacKillop

Rob MacKillop Edinburgh Correspondent

Which usually smells of whisky...

Brian Moore likes this.
  8. Milan Vjestica

Milan Vjestica Well-Known Member

I like this a lot Brian. Interesting angle and composition.

How are you getting on with the Hoya filter? Would you do a full IR conversion on an old body or just use the filter?

Brian Moore likes this.
  9. Dave Farnes

Dave Farnes Well-Known Member

A most unusual composition, works very well. The IR really brings out all of the architectural details in the buuilding. I am really enjoying your pictures.

Brian Moore likes this.
  10. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thank you Milan. A feature of the Sigma SD Quattro is that it has an easily removable IR blocking filter. (You just need a pair of tweezers to take it out or put it in.) With the IR block removed, the Hoya R72 filter on the lens and the sensor set for B&W you get digital IR. It's very simple. (I think converting a conventional digital camera to IR would cost several hundred dollars which would have been off-putting to me. I just wish I had experimented with IR on the Sigma sooner than I did.) Thanks again Milan.

That's very kind of you Dave. Thank you.

11. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

I love the clean, almost graphic, presentation that the technique delivers, Brian. And I think your intent with regards the composition has proved to be very effective. I also like that you have chosen to shoot it in landscape format; it makes for a much more interesting image as a result.

Brian Moore likes this.
  12. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thanks Pete. I appreciate your comments.