Wee, Sleekit, Cow'rin, Tim'rous Beastie,

Discussion in 'Animals and Wildlife' started by Brian Moore, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

O what a panic's in thy breastie

Clearly not in a panic, and not even a mouse. No, it's the only marsupial this side of Australia if I'm not mistaken: an opossum, or "possum" as they say in these parts.

Walking Sadie one night I turned a corner and there was the wee beastie giving me the evil eye. Snapped the shot with my XA. I had plenty of time, as the wee fella was ill-disposed to movement, which I suppose can be said is a possum's way of dealing with panic. Cool as cucumber he was. Should have been a Hemingway protagonist--grace under pressure and all that.

There is a street lamp across the road and this is what cast the shadows and illuminated everything.

Kneeled doon and used the kneepod, as the tripod doesn't come on dog walks. Well,...truth be told the tripod disnae come anywhere.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. Ahmad Bhai

Ahmad Bhai Well-Known Member

Looks like something from a John Carpenter :eek:

3. Lesley Jones

Lesley Jones Otherwise know as Zooey

Wonderful Brian - just wonderful! I remember the last leg of my trip up to Macchu Picchu in Peru on a bus. There was a girl with a tiny possum in a bed she had made out of a sock. I think it was a baby, but may also have been a different type of possum :)

4. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thank you, Lesley. The one in this image is a youngster. Full grown ones get to about twice this one's size. The mama possums carry their babies on their backs. I saw one walking along my back garden wall one evening; she had six young uns, three hanging on each side of her body as she waddled along.

5. Pete Askew

Pete Askew Admin

Excellent Brian. One organic form amongst all of the angles and man-made materials.

6. Brian Moore

Brian Moore Moderator

Thank you, Pete. Much appreciated.