Critique Welcomed 0 Dark Thirty At Marineland Beach, Fl

Keith Hollister

Friend of mine and I drove up to Marineland (just south of St. Augustine on the Atlantic side of the state) this morning (got up at 4:00AM and was on the road by 4:30 :(). The beach there is rather unique for Florida in having a lot of coquina rock. We almost aborted last night due to a front moving in with the threat of rain. Forecast said 70% cloud cover but we got lucky and got dramatic skies instead of boring gray - f/8 and be there ;) The first couple were taken when it was really dark and I had to guess the exposure - even my Sekonic meter wouldn't register.

D800 & 16-35 f/4 VR. As much as I love working with the Fuji's, the D800 is still the landscape king.

The First one was taken in almost total darkness (3 sec @ ISO 400!) and the rocks were lit somewhat by some spill from sodium vapor streetlights in the parking area a couple hundred yards behind me, thus resulting in the rather oddball color balance. I actually didn't crank the color as much as one would probably assume. I kind of like the avant garde look :rolleyes:

Last edited:
And I haven't even been drinking yet today :eek:
But it is after 4:00 PM here so I think the bar's open ...

I like that first one as it is different, almost other worldly! That early light is almost always better for seascapes.

nice, last time i was there it was low tide and i couldn't find any rocks in the water. so i shot toys on the beach instead. that's one of my favorite spots in florida. love the crazy colors in the first, the rest are pretty sweet too, but the first grabbed my attention.

Thanks, Beth & Milan.

Thanks, Pete. Here is one more I processed from the trip

Back