3rd attempt at development

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
This time I used Ilford HP5, and I seemed to do everything right, or at least how I should do it according to standard procedure.

I decided to take 36 quick shots with the Konica Hexar around our house and garden, without taking any care whatsoever over composition. I just wanted to try developing some film again.

This time I didn't warm-up the developing tank with warm water, having been told that Ilford advise against such a thing, despite most people on YouTube doing it. I also got the temperature and timing just right. The result is as you see, not bad.

The editing in Lightroom involved minor adjustments to exposure, and in one or two I boosted the blacks. Any attempt open up the shadows did not look great - too much grain.

bookshelf.jpg

guitar.jpg

kitchen.jpg

perfectly soft.jpg

room.jpg

Tea.jpg

So, I feel encouraged. The CineStill DF96 Monobath is easy and quick to use: just pour it in, close the lid, and agitate it by inversion for three minutes (plus 15 seconds extra every time you use the Monobath). After three minutes, empty the monobath back into its bottle, then pour cold water down it for six minutes or so. I then do a final wash with a wetting agent from Ilford, which actually makes the film dry quicker. I've seen one spendthrift on youtube using washing-up liquid instead, with foamy results! Then hang up to dry for a few hours - the film, not you :rolleyes:

Getting there!

They do look good. Try to keep your wash water similar in temperature to the developer at least at first otherwise you can damage the emulsion. You could start with a mix of warm and cold and then slowly reduce the warm. It is the sudden change that does the damage.

Back