A few little Critters.

Glen Roberts

I left my 400mm at home and took my Macro out for a change.

Bug-2.jpg

Lacewing-1.jpg

ScorpionFly-1.jpg

ZebraSpider1.jpg

SoldierBeetle-1.jpg

Blacksawfly.jpg

CommonBlue2-4.jpg

Great shots Glen

That’s a fine set of photos. I love that scorpion fly but have never seen one in real life. You’ve captured him in a suitably majestic pose. Love the eyes on your jumping spider too. I’ve tried and tried to get a shot that sharp, so far without success, and it’s not as if the cuddly little things don’t mind posing, so I’ve no excuse.

You’ve retained the natural colours beautifully in every shot, and caught the softness of the texture of the Common Blue male’s underwings perfectly.

I’m heartened to see I’m not the only one using natural light. Do you use a tripod or anything else to steady your hand?

Those black waspy things are such flittery things and the very devil to catch. Mine all have motion blur. How did you keep it so still…….hairspray? ;)

That Tamron 90 looks like a good lens. First time I’ve seen shots from it.

I’ve really enjoyed those shots. You’ve inspired me to get straight back out to the wilderness again. I’m sure there must be scorpion flies around here somewhere – half my garden’s a nettle bed ;)

Kate

Thanks Bryan and Kate.
Kate, the local reserve where I took these had hundreds of Scorpion Flies, not exactly a pretty face but I really like them...lol.
The Jumping Spider is the first one that has actually stayed still long enough to get a shot, they normal run and hide as I approach and the black Sawfly I just hit lucky, I managed a couple of shots before it flew off.

All these shots were handheld, I sometimes use a tripod if I can be bothered to carry it but nine times out of ten they are handheld and hope for the best;):D.

Great shots Glen! I know how difficult it is to capture shots like these.

Getting images like these using natural light is even more difficult taking into account that you often need to stop down quite a bit for good DOF.

The Tammy looks like a great lens!

Back