A Guide to Architectural Photography - Part I - What is it?

Darren Bradley

At the request of some on this forum, I'll attempt here to give a bit of a primer on Architectural Photography in several parts (I haven't decided how many yet). First, all those years of school told me that one should always define key terms in the introduction, so here goes:

What is Architectural Photography?
This is more than just taking photos of buildings. In fact, most pictures of buildings that I see are not truly architectural photography. That's because the primary concern is to accurately depict the appearance of a structure - free of distortion or false perspectives that are otherwise common.

Here's an example of what is NOT architectural photography:

See how it looks like the room is caving in on itself? While it may be fun or interesting (or not), it's not architectural photography because I've modified the aspect and integrity of the building.

Here's a similar shot of the same room, but following the rules:

Note that this is still not a great photo because I used a single ultra-wide angle image, and wide angle lenses tend to have a lot of distortion and fall away at the edges, which happened here. To get around that, I would have needed to take several images with a longer focal length (say 24mm or 35mm instead of 17mm), and stitch them together... or crop out the distorted parts.

The Rules and how to break them
It's often said that architectural photography is boring because all those rules and its inherently documentary nature means that it's dry and that there's no room to infuse creativity into the process. Well, the truth is that there's no such thing as an objective photograph. As you all probably know, photography is an infintely subjective medium, and this genre is no exception to that rule.

Here are two shots of the same house, taken at different times with different lighting, to illustrate my point:

They convey entirely different moods and feelings to the observer.

You see, our built environment is such a critical factor in how we live, how we move, how we feel... and it's mostly completely ignored. But all buildings do have moods and project feelings on the people that interact with them. And once you start to get sensitive to it, you can see it. Remember this elementary school I shot? What kind of mood does that project?

The fun in architectural photography, and what makes a good photo (at least to me) is being able to find a way to project onto the viewer the mood of the building, and the experience of being there. Like standing on the balcony of this home in Hawaii during the golden hour...

You want to draw that person in, and give them a taste of what you felt. That's why I take photos. That's why I do what I do.

Coming up soon... Part II - What makes an architectural photographer?

Last edited:
Fantastic, thank you for putting this together, will make a fantastic addition here!

Would you do me one small thing? Could you make it so the first photo in this thread a really nice shot as it will be te one used for the picture on the home page!
It will only take the first image and so on this case it will use the shot that isnt architectural photography ...
If you could put one between the first an second paragraph
Sorry to be a pain after you have put all the effort in ;)

Hello again Darren :)
I have to admit that I often break the first rule here and go too wide, I've noticed that people quite like the distorted & exaggerated look though I agree with you, the picture should depict an accurate representation of the space or building in an accurate manner and not make it appear as something it is not.
I may post a thread in the near future with some of my architecture shots and perhaps I can hear your opinions on what I've been able to pull off so far.
Amazing work, love the write up and the photography you do :)

The effing boobs!! Very very very informative !!!! :)

Thanks for the comments, guys. Glad you are finding it useful and interesting. Feel free to ask any questions.

Fidel, I look forward to seeing more of your work here, too! Cheers!

Back