Critique Welcomed A Journey Under The Influence

Peter Roberts

I've long admired the work of the painter Eric Ravilious. Exploring and appreciating his output has, almost without realising it, influenced my landscape photography.

IMG_0030-001.jpg
Drying The Nets, Hastings Beach

IMG_0028-002.jpg
Walking The Dog, Greenwich Park

And then there are his woodcuts, perhaps not so well known and the reason for this post. I'm jumping straight in at the deep end with a couple of extreme examples taken to see how far I could push the idea.

IMG_0001-001.jpgObservatory Hill, Greenwich #1

IMG_0012-001.jpgObservatory Hill, Greenwich #2

I hope nobody will be offended if I say that I plan to write a fuller account of this journey for 35mmc.

Not at all. Can you pop a link in here though so we can get to it easily.

I too am an admirer of his work and like especially his pictures of the downs as I hail from that area originally (@Dave Farnes) is still near the Long Man. I can certainly see some elements of influence in the images you have posted, especially from his wood-cuts. A friend has one of his lino-prints hanging in his living room.

I was not familiar with Ravilious so I looked him up. Wonderful work! (I am now a fan.) Fine set of images Peter. I especially like Observatory Hill, Greenwich #1.

Not at all. Can you pop a link in here though so we can get to it easily.

I too am an admirer of his work and like especially his pictures of the downs as I hail from that area originally (@Dave Farnes) is still near the Long Man. I can certainly see some elements of influence in the images you have posted, especially from his wood-cuts. A friend has one of his lino-prints hanging in his living room.
Just the prod I needed to put my notes in order!

Yes, fine countryside the South Downs. Much gentler and easier on the eye than the North Downs which are closer to me.

I was not familiar with Ravilious so I looked him up. Wonderful work! (I am now a fan.) Fine set of images Peter. I especially like Observatory Hill, Greenwich #1.
Glad I introduced you to Mr. Eric, as my Austrian cousin calls him.

Thank you. I was extremely satisfied with Observatory Hill, Greenwich #1. Although whenever I look at it I remember how cold it was that day!

A beautiful set of atmospheric images.

I am familiar with both locations, though the last time I was in Greenwich was in the middle of the heatwave, so it looked more like a prarie.

A beautiful set of atmospheric images.

I am familiar with both locations, though the last time I was in Greenwich was in the middle of the heatwave, so it looked more like a prarie.
Thank you.

Yes, Greenwich Park in high summer can be a bit parched. I believe there are plans to reconstruct the terrace up to the Observatory which will include an avenue of trees so as to introduce more shade.

Back