A Wee Dander Around Town

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent

Had a meeting in town, so took a walk as the weather was beautiful today.

Princes Street Gardens

flag1.jpg

Stumbled on a paving-stone dedication to the famous naturalist, John Muir. This area is now known as Writers' Corner. Little quotations from various writers' works are engraved on paving stones.

John Muir.jpg

The most expensive apartments in Edinburgh...Ramsay Gardens, overlooking Princes Street Gardens.

shadow.jpg

Trams have arrived in Edinburgh. They really could not have come up with a less inspiring design. Believe me when I say my photo makes them look a lot sexier than they are. No one can get on them yet - driver training is in operation - and also pedestrian awareness is paramount: we have to get used to seeing them around, and hearing their clanging bell. If you arrive at Edinburgh airport, this will be the smoothest connection to Princes Street.

tram.jpg

All DP2M, in-camera b&w. I increased the contrast on the last image.​

Great photo's Rob. Terrible looking trams from one who remembers vividly the orange Glasgow trams to Giffnock in the late 50's. They were proper trams with clippies not smart cards!

My beloved would like to send a short note to you, Potsdam Pete and Julian,

"Thank you all so much for persuading Pat to get me a new Merrill DP2. I have always wanted one and it arrives tomorrow. Yours P..., sorry,... Sue."

I knew that Tom and I see things differently at times as I like the second the most and the infomation about the trams. Last time we were there they were digging in the streets. Thanks Rob for keeping us updated about town we so much enjoy.

Super set all round Rob. The first is so beautifully natural - you can feel the spring colours! The most interesting for me though is the third as it is very reminiscent (again) in its feel of the trees etc in there paintings of one of my favourite artists, David Inshaw.

I can just about see the connection with Inshaw, who I think you mentioned to me before, a long time ago.

I love the guy with the white shirt, lying on the grass in the first image.

Back