Ansel Adams Exhibition

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Sorry about the quality of the photography here, especially considering the subject matter - a really excellent exhibition of Ansel Adams' original prints - some 100 of them - with a loose theme of water and mountains. It is at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich, London. Unfortunately we decided to get there by the Docklands Light Railway, which must be the most hellish train journey either I , Susan or Rhona had ever taken. It passes through the financial district, and it is an undeniable truth that the Devil lives therein [devil] Ugly and threatening doesn't come close. Where is the 21st century George Orwell to tear it apart?

I've never seen an original Adams print before, and I have to say I was stunned. Some of them are very large indeed. Most of them are an education in all aspects of photography. A few dodgy ones were also included, to remind us, no doubt, that he was indeed human. There was also a BBC film playing continuously in one room. Here's a link to the exhibition notice.

I left the place a fan of the guy. The exhibition book contains all the prints, and at £20 is a bargain. Highly recommended.

Ansel Tetons and Snake River.jpg

Ansel by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Ansel 4 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

Ansel 3 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr

I couldn't believe this young girl was wearing the same pink as the poster...

Ansel 1 by RobMacKillop, on Flickr​

I knew I'd never be able to get to down to see them, so I bought the book of the show. And very lovely it is too. They look fantastic, I'll just have to imagine what they look like full-sized...

Back