Antwerp

John Holland

The Giant Hand of Antwerp - Silvius Brabo (mythical Roman soldier) killed a giant, called Druon Antigoon, who asked money from people who wanted to pass the bridge over the river Scheldt. When they didn't want to or couldn't pay, he cut off their hand and threw it in the river. This legend is the origin of the name Antwerp: Antwerpen, from Dutch hand werpen—akin to Old English hand and wearpan (= to throw), that has changed to today's warp.

Hand_16May-01.jpg

MAS – Museum Aan de Stroom. The white specs in the center of each of the facing stones is actually a hand

MAS_Building_16May-15-21-Pano.jpg

I remember my wife leaned against that hand, not knowing the story then. Very good images John. Nice to see a part of Antwerpen again.

Thank you for the comments, everyone. I did not know the story of the hand when I shot the image - at the time of the shot, I thought it strange to have this large hand in the middle of the walkway. The MAS is something that my wife and I just came across as we explored Antwerp. We were also surprised that there was an observation deck on the roof and no charge to access it.

Back