Critique Welcomed Anyone for Cricket?

Bill Watts

I am no sportsman, however a number of my Indian colleagues at work were seriously fanatical about Cricket. Annually the Mariners Cup is held in Singapore and a number of local teams take part in the one day event.

I had just purchased the 40-150 f2.8 zoom lens and 1.4x teleconverter so thought it would be a good test of equipment, albeit I had never shot a sporting event before. I am pleased to say I got a few good shots, nothing spectacular but I thought they were quite good.

Below my colleague batting. Unfortunately shutter speed just not quite high enough to freeze the end of the bat.

Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M1
Lens: Olympus mZuiko 40-150mm F2.8 + MC-14
Exposure: f7,1, 1/1000s, ISO 200 @ 210mm (420mm equiv.)
Cropped in Affinity Photo.

P7170318_cr.jpg

Nice to see the wicket keeper protecting the family Crown Jewels. And I actually quite like the bat vibration, brings it to life a bit.

I’m watching the England v West Indies match on Channel 4 from my hospital bed. Quite disappointed in the Windies. Not the force they used to be.

Nice to see the wicket keeper protecting the family Crown Jewels. And I actually quite like the bat vibration, brings it to life a bit.

I’m watching the England v West Indies match on Channel 4 from my hospital bed. Quite disappointed in the Windies. Not the force they used to be.
Thanks - sorry to hear of your hospital stay, hope all goes well for you.

That's a good action shot, Bill. I agree with Rob about the movement in the bat. It's remarkable what pretzel shapes cricket batsmen can get themselves into. Quite different from batters in baseball (they're not called batsmen) who can wind themselves up like springs as they follow through on a swing.

That's a good action shot, Bill. I agree with Rob about the movement in the bat. It's remarkable what pretzel shapes cricket batsmen can get themselves into. Quite different from batters in baseball (they're not called batsmen) who can wind themselves up like springs as they follow through on a swing.
Thanks Brian, If you zoom right in on Ajay's face he is almost cross-eyed focusing on the ball!

I don't know anything about cricket (or any other sport), but I see that one has a bat represented on his Michelin man's pants, he must be the batsman (ot it must be the man's bat).

Very good photo, BTW.

Back