Bargain Basement? Olympus OM-2n and Sunpak DX-12R ringflash

Bill Watts

I occasionally check in on the flea market at Feldstrasse which happens most Saturdays. The last few weeks I have spotted a few nice cameras at the market, including a Yashica Electro G for 30 euro which looked in nice condition and a Minox 35GL with box and documentation.

Todays find was excellent. I have been looking for a chrome body Olympus OM-2n to add to my collection and as I wandered around this morning a guy was setting out his wares - all cameras not the usual assortment of items plus a camera or two. There were at least 3 OM-2s and a chrome body OM-2n with a 50mm f1.8 lens attached. The body had a few minor marks on the chrome from use but no brassing at all, the engravings were all clean and sharp with no missing paint, the leatherette looked good apart from the MD badge having slid out of position, no silvering damage on the prism and the mirror was clean. Only thing was that the camera would not wind on.

The lens was an early "silver nose" and had been dinged but I have 3 or 4 f1.8 50mm lenses and I can probably dress the damage out anyway, but the action was smooth, the click stops definite, there was no oil on the blades and the glass was clear and free of dust spots and fungus.

I asked the price - 45 euro. I quickly pressed the shutter unlock button, turned the shutter speed ring to "B" and sure enough the camera shutter fired and the wind on freed up. Paid the 45 euros and walked away.

Got it home and put two new batteries in the battery compartment which was spotlessly clean and sure enough all shutter speeds operational, manual metering looks ok against my Gossen Mastersix and the auto mode changes speed depending on the set aperture.

Will attempt to run a roll of film through it over the weekend and see how it goes

1723914714060.jpeg
1723914749765.jpeg
1723915268938.jpeg

The only thing missing from the camera is the hotshoe, and an Olympus type 4 hotshoe is currently costing more than I paid for the camera and lens!

I have also been looking for a Sunpak DX12R ringflash for some time but they are pricey usually around 110 - 150 euro plus shipping and duty, however, I came across one last week for 25 euro plus shipping -looked almost brand new and was complete in the box with all the original packing and documentation. Swiftly ordered it arrived and on opening the box it looks like it has never been used, complete with all the accessories including two extra adapter rings. It came with a "standard" foot, for hotshoes without automation, however I picked up an Olympus DX module for 14 euro from a German seller - result!
1723915413181.jpeg
1723915448055.jpeg
It is normally supplied with only the 62 and 72mm adapter rings. Extra rings are 25 euro each!

Very happy bunny, Christmas came early!

Back