Black Foam Core Projects

Tony Britton

Hello,

One of my favorite indoor "tabletop" photography projects involves interesting objects placed on black foam core board. These types of photos celebrate the wonderful interplay of light & shadow and seashells are favorite subjects of mine. This type of photography makes for excellent rainy day projects.

I hope you'll find them interesting and enjoyable.

Tony

seashells%20%282%29-M.jpg

bfcbritton2016-M.jpg

3. Use of mirror, of course!
brittonbfcsshell2016-M.jpg

newbrittonshells2016-M.jpg

5. Eye In The Sky
eyeintheskybritton-M.jpg

This next set includes a couple of "illuminated" shells. The light source coming from underneath the shell, of course.

Tony

1. Illuminated
illuminationbritton2016-M.jpg

mayshells.jpg%20%2810%29%20%283%29-M.jpg

3. Illuminated
lightedbritton2016-M.jpg

cambridge2016tonybritton%20%283%29-M.jpg

septshells%20%282%29%20%282%29-M.jpg

Wow again. Good idea to have the light source underneath. These really work beautifully. I'm glad you found us, Tony, as your images are different from everyone else here. The more variety the better, I think.

Wow again. Good idea to have the light source underneath. These really work beautifully. I'm glad you found us, Tony, as your images are different from everyone else here. The more variety the better, I think.
Thanks, Rob. Yes, very interesting and generally unseen detail emerges with these illuminated shots. As far as my images being different, I'm reminded of the classic line: I'm unique.....just like everyone else!

Thanks for your interest in my photographs and especially for your kind compliments. And rest assured these compliments will not go to my head as humility is my greatest attribute. Come to think of it, nobody, and I mean nobody, is more humble than I am!:D:D:D

Tony:)

Last edited:
Truly brilliant set of images Tony, something I've wanted to try but after seeing these images I don't think I'll bother well done.

I marble at the marbles, so to speak. I am so impressed by all of them and I find it hard to pick one from another. As well as I am impressed by the work, your ideas of putting it together and as mentioned, the results. I know "art" is a misused word, but I can't think of much else coming any closer. I am at my pad and I look forward to see it on my monitor. Just plain lovely. You are a master at lighting the items,

Truly brilliant set of images Tony, something I've wanted to try but after seeing these images I don't think I'll bother well done.
Thanks for commenting. Most anything looks great against the foam core board. I've always admired seashells and thought they'd photograph well in this case. Some of the textures are especially fun to light in order to create an interesting effect. The reflection shots do take a little practice!

Tony

I marble at the marbles, so to speak. I am so impressed by all of them and I find it hard to pick one from another. As well as I am impressed by the work, your ideas of putting it together and as mentioned, the results. I know "art" is a misused word, but I can't think of much else coming any closer. I am at my pad and I look forward to see it on my monitor. Just plain lovely. You are a master at lighting the items,
You're very kind, Ivar. As I say in the introduction to this thread, a project like this is all about the celebration of light & shadow play. I couldn't be happier that you appreciate this set of images. My preference remains in photographing interesting seashells, but certain varieties of flowers also present well against the black background. I'll include a few in my next set so you can see the effect.

Tony

This set includes a few flowers, as well. Clearly, flowers are much easier subjects to practice with since they don't present the lighting challenges that a highly reflective polished seashell presents. No "hot spots" to contend with. I've included an illuminate starfish, as well.

Tony

Floral%20Fireworks-M.jpg

mayshells.jpg%20%286%29-M.jpg

zenbrittonapril%20%284%29-M.jpg

4. Illuminated
lightbritton-M.jpg

flower5%20%284%29-M.jpg

2016cambridge%20%282%29-M.jpg

Copy%20of%20new%20flowers%20%282%29-M.jpg

cambridegeshell-M.jpg

I say this is truly art in photography the way I see it and painting with light can't suit the subject any better anywhere else than right here. Wonderfully done. I won't even try to copy this even If I could. And I can't. You should consider exhibit them in a gallery.

Back