Camera+ for iPhone

Thomas brookes

RPF Chief iPhone app Reviewer
Wandering slightly off the beaten track with this little app. camera+ not only offers a myriad of post processing filters......... Just Like all the others I hear you call!! Yes..... However camera+ has a neat little trick up it's sleeve

It delivers it's knock out blow to the generic filter making face fattening applications we have all seen, purchased, got bored of and then deleted. by incorporating it's own in app camera function. That in my opinion is far more superior to the standard camera function in the apple family tree

From the birth of the iPhone people have been banging on about how wonderfully thought out and ergonomical the menu screen is looking like a conductor of a symphony as your finger prances around. flamboyantly showing off how brilliant your new iphone is to all the poor people you know. You can make your mates 10 stone overweight. Order a pizza with a tap on your screen, video call around the world...... Amazing but I feel apple have dazzled us with a slight of hand trick,

With the iphone4 apple beefed up its camera a companying it with its brand new retina screen amazing!! but then completely neglected the actual needs of the consumer when it came down to the camera functions. Why spend so much money on development and technology to put out such a basic,unimaginative and dull camera program out???

Camera+ have polished and fine tuned what apple didn't bother doing with functions like Image stabiliser,self timer and burst mode.... All in my opinion should be as a standard with the original.
It offers a 6x zoom that looses little clarity, flash light mode so you can see what your shooting in the dark. Not to mention geotagging on shots

I feel The touch screen auto focus is far more accurate and sensitive giving it the leading edge over the standard Also as much as I love the point and shoot option sometimes auto shoot does not let me convey what I want out of a shot, exposing it to bright or to dark. With a tap on the screen you can adjust the exposure values by moving the iris icon using the live images values to set the brightness .

a84cde17.jpg

The editing suit offers all the usual, crop,frame, effects. But does little to let the user get involved only having the use of an intensity slide to show how harsh or soft you want the effect. A brightness and contrast slide on here would be a good start.

My other issue is the apps inability to allow multiple effects to be used on an image say for instance I wanted a b&w image with a DOF effect. I would have to save it after converting to b&w then import the saved image from my photo library to add another effect then save it again which gets really frustrating .

However I am slightly won over by the effects page with 30+ filters that are well tailored for getting the desired effect. The " I love analogue" premium filters, I think are the best and well worth the money.

9517d3a7.jpg

To sum up?

Camera+ has now made me rearrange my iPhone front grid replacing the standard camera app for this one. Every photo I take i use this app. Its smooth well placed out and very easy to use. Granted the editing features need a little more user options but I see the editing suit as a sweetener. I would happily spend my money on the camera let alone everything else it comes with.

I use multiple apps for editing so it's not a great loss.

So my opinion ? buy this. Swap it for your normal camera. Why use a substandard basic camera when you can use this. Simple.

Some results.

ed142e0f.jpg

04ed5b89.jpg

2a732f6e.jpg

Thanks

I've had camera+ since the day it was released and I LOVE IT, it's what i use to pretty much edit all my iphone shots

I tend to use photoforge2 for my editing, its an AMAZING app for that purpose.
Has anybody used that before??
Great right up Tom, I might just downlaod that app now...... :)

Great stuff! not bad app tho hey?...... I'll wait for the review. lol

Mmmmm I'm being converted......................now should I get an Iphone just for this app???

Mmmmm I'm being converted......................now should I get an Iphone just for this app???

for me Kev it really is astonishing what the iPhone camera is capable of doing, I love the idea that it could be possible to produce an instant gallery from wherever I am... Taken,Edited and posted instantly. I know people will say that almost any phone can do that now, but, i'm a huge apple fan anyway (ipod,iphone,ipad,macbook, tattoo)

As long as you don't have the Windows logo on the left (like the old LOVE and HATE on the knuckles thing!!). :)

Funny you mention that, I have the love and hate in the old school writing on the inside on my right arm above and below the 1940's pin up lol

Back