Delta 100 And Zeiss Nettar

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
From a wander around the New Town district of Edinburgh...not looking so new these days, but very expensive. London prices. These broken, neglected garages are more expensive to buy than our house. Still, I can walk around it freely, and take pictures. Little has changed since the New Town was constructed 150 years ago.

I find the Delta 100 a little flat. I was tempted to add a little punch, upping the contrast, but have resisted - no changes other than reduced size again for online consumption.

Here's the old Stockbridge to Princes Street tunnel, now blocked off. It would be great if they opened it again, as the climb is a steep one.

4.jpg

I think this next one shows an influence on J.K. Rowling - not just the stairs, but if you zoom in you will see a sign for Dobie and Son. It's a beautiful old sign, and I'll return with a zoom lens someday to get a good close up of it.

4.jpg

Garages...

4.jpg

Just to the right of the above...

4.jpg

For whom the bell tolls...

4.jpg

The next one reveals the main problem with the Nettar - although there is a pop-up viewing screen, it is not a great deal of help. I do remember taking my time to compose this shot - down on one knee, the camera steadied on the other, while trying to peer through it...but it was off. However, it has revealed some interesting scratch marks - from a crazed Robert Louis Stevenson, no doubt, who lived round the corner...

4.jpg

And the camera in question - still in perfect condition, from 1937, Dresden...

4.jpg

Last edited:
@Davie Hudson - Davie, you are a Harry Potter nut. What do you think of the second photo? It has a number of connections, I think, with the books and films: the stair case, obviously; the Dobie sign; old signs in general; and the cupboard under the stair - Harry's room.

Nice set, Rob. The focus is a wee bit off on a couple of them but that's adjust focus by estimate. This doesn't detract at all from the pictures, though. The Dobie and Son one is really good as is the one with the pales and pots. Smashing shot of the camera, too.

That's right about the focus, Brian. I occasionally forget to turn the distance wheel on the end of the lens. Annoying. My fault, not the camera's.

Thanks for your comments, Brian.

I can see what you're saying Rob, I imagine Edinburgh is full of references like that .... great pictures too :D

Cheers, Pete. I have some HP5 on order, which is 400. Might try some Provia 400 as well.

I've done a few mini series' now where the whole film is shot in one street. I quite enjoy the challenge. This set is almost all in one street, with a couple of side courtyards included.

when you think about it Rob you have a wonderful city to photograph with so many new parts and old parts

Back