Designing Watermarks?

Peter Blake

I don't have photoshop or gimp. But I would really like to develop a visible watermark (actually a few different ones) for various uses - so if it was a fine arty type of shot it would have a 'signed by the artist' kind of signature somewhere; whereas a collaboration type photo with models and stylists etc would namecheck each person, with a kind of stamped-on looking watermark. and then everything else with a fairly obvious but low transparency text line with the 'company name'.

I want to avoid obvious cliches like clipart designs and that aperture diaphragm that some people are using, but it has to be simple enough….I think there does need to be a logo even if it's not something I am immediately associating with my brand (there's a word I shudder at!).

Any suggestions on ways of creating watermarks, bearing in mind that I do need something bespoke. PhotoBulk works pretty well but the fonts and designs seem limited. If I could have the functionality of PB, with a bespoke font, the world would all be right!

Pete, you do not have Gimp or Photoshop. To obvious to say Gimp is free , I wondered what you do have? Because have you thought of bespoke as in your own hand writing, or someone else's, then use the software to place it where it is needed. I'd go about this by photographing the hand signature and extracting it to use as a layer? Just a thought and may not be plausible in your case, for the software you have. Time consuming maybe, but a unique signature. Although I would avoid reproducing anything close to your own signature, as it could be copied.

when you say 'my signature could be copied', am I running the same risk when I generate a digital signature for PDFs that need signing? as I did this recently and did wonder, but then there was no witness to the signature.

I was struggling with disk space and had to toss Gimp out, perhaps I'll give it another go as I just threw out a whole raft of NEF files.

I
when you say 'my signature could be copied', am I running the same risk when I generate a digital signature for PDFs that need signing? as I did this recently and did wonder, but then there was no witness to the signature.

I was struggling with disk space and had to toss Gimp out, perhaps I'll give it another go as I just threw out a whole raft of NEF files.
meant as in copy your handwriting. Ok very unlikely. Yet writing in your hand writing will give a unique signature and the possibilities are the extent of the imagination. I think this could be done in elements if you can get a copy, I doubt they use a lot of disk space, but may be wrong about that.

Back