Desperate for web site advice please

Lesley Jones

Otherwise know as Zooey
What with losing Bailey ferret and Purdy cat in the space of ten days, I threw myself into building another web site for my photographs. That's done, apart from adding the remaining images. Now I mentioned that we're adopting a badly abused kitten from Romania and he is due to arrive in a couple of weeks. I believe the lady behind the rescue is doing a wonderful job and I wanted to help in some way. The only thing I could offer (which I have done for other charities) is to build and run her web site.

The one she set up is here World Aimal Friends and while it isn't astoundingly beautiful, it does work. People can donate, buy to give and sponsor - although the sponsored bits seems to be spread around the site and they operate in slightly different ways.

My attempt after about three days is here Home Page (I've had to use my own images for now). The Adopt Me page works as I wanted and I've created virtual galleries based on the image tags. Where possible I will try and get the stories to put in the description and at the bottom I will have a bit about using the Contact button to make an enquiry. All is good so far.

Now this software has a shopping cart which I intended to use for the Sponsor Me, but there are a few problems. The first is that the box to contain the cart is around 650-700 pixels high. It can't be changed and it pushes the scrolling thumbnails off the bottom. Not good. The next problem is that it really has been designed to sell images. Even getting rid of every field possible, I'm still left with sponsoring a .jpg dog in sepia and a size of 8x10. I think I need another way.

It's like opening a can of worms though. On her current site the sponsored cats have a banner over the image, which is fine, but you can only sponsor for one month unless you complete a form (standing order I would imagine). Now people who sponsor want to see the results, so a banner is a good idea until you start putting them on and taking them off again. I guess the banners already on the site are quite old and people may get the impression the rescue has more support than it really does. Just read some of their stories - these people are working under the most awful conditions. So how can I make this work to show the animals for sponsoring, showing a named animal when they give money and provide them with that warm feeling that something on the site has changed as a result? I've seen a coloured bar on my old forum to show monthly donations. I was thinking this would be good, if in fact, it hasn't been faked. If you work out £10 per month per cat you could set a target for each rescue, but I have no idea what is possible. There are also so many rescues (shelters) that I need to group them under one link. I was thinking of having a couple of sentences about each one with show/hide text to reveal the entire story. I think if I don't do that, it's going to get out of hand.

I don't want to build a "prettier" site if I take away some of the existing function. Any advice gratefully received :)

Um... I'm not that technical I'm afraid Rob. I think the galleries (and there's a gallery on the home page too) are Flash. I've taken the code apart far more than I should have done. There is a limit to the virtual galleries and the menu links, but I managed to get the control panel to show extra fields. I've never seen an iPad, so I have no idea how it might operate... :D

OK. iPads cannot play Flash things, but that doesn't stop people using them on their websites. So don't worry about. Apple don't like those Flash guys...

Blimey Lesley, you are a glutton for punishment aren't you ...
My main concern is the trying to convince a system geared up for doing one thing to do something else.
I am also a little bit worries about the use of flash ... for me the two main reasons to move away from the flash they currently have would be to move to something non flash and to build something that is better geared up to search engine optimisation (which moving away from flash does)
I'm not really sure how to help ...
have you ever worked with wordpress? it might provide in conjunction with a nice theme a more manageable and easy to work with starting point.
There are loads of plugins for it too that often solve issues as they arise ...
Dunno ... I just worry you are walking down a road of complications that wouldn't even be on your radar if you stated from a different starting point ... ??

Cheers Hamish! As you know perfectly well - I know no...thing! I did work with Wordpress for a while when I ran a very large ferret rescue web site. Large site, two blogs and two photographic databases. Link to forum, forms for people to report lost and found ferrets, PDF sheets to download to care for found ferrets and... I forget the rest. I'm not logical and I can't think it through in advance because I don't know enough.

In this case I think poor SEO is probably OK. The lady already has two Facebook pages, but I think the problem with those up for adoption is that they fall off the bottom. Too many people going "cute kitty" and then those still in need of homes can't be seen. There are a handful of cats on the current site, but I wanted a place where they were all displayed equally, which you get with the scrolling thumbnails. People don't go looking for badly abused Romanian kittens to adopt and frankly the system can only handle so many. It's not an ideal situation, but if she doesn't create a small channel for those being fostered, then everything will stagnate. People are dumping their pets over there, not looking to adopt.

I've now made a start on the hide/view page, so that tidies up the Our Rescues page and images will be added when I can get them. The shopping cart idea is dead in the water.

My only real problem is how to present the sponsorship bit. I need to speak to the lady when she isn't so busy as I have no idea how the donations are divided up. I'm wondering if a single "progress bar" is the way to go, rather than marking animals as sponsored or not - or only marking them if they are sponsored on an ongoing basis.

I think I need to go to bed... :)

- - - Updated - - -

I think I just found what I needed https://giving.paypallabs.com/authenticate/review :)

Lesley,

I am going to share this site with a several of my dog loving/rescuing friends. Of course my saying has always been and it's a fact that "I would live in a cardboard box under a highway overpass before I gave up my dogs." This site is great for me because I cannot go into animal shelters. I get too depressed (I'm really serious). All three of my dogs are rescues but I got two of them off of State Parks where they were abandoned and Stanley was left at Vet's office. My cat Josephine I found walking to work. She was so small and had so many fleas that the vet later told me she was just hours away from dying. I know if I went into an animal shelter I would walk out with as many dogs as I could put leashes on.

Thank you so much for the work that you do for these animals!!!!!!!!

Back