Dishonesty or just businesses doing business

Wes Hall

I'm going to preface this with a friendly note that I'll remove the post if it's not appropriate, but I thought I'd share a bitter tasting experience I've just come across on eBay.

Advertised my Nikon F2 and 50 1.4 lens, got an offer which I accepted. Noticed when I came to post that the buyer's address was a photography store in UK (happy to share, honestly want to but appreciate it is my experience and others may not wish to see any public shaming).

Didn't think too hard on it, but realized they will probably look to sell it on at mark up and offer usual warranty etc.

Got a message as it arrived today basically saying it wasn't quite as advertised and trying to get a partial refund. This was the point I realized I was getting slightly scammed, but....and this is the trapping part...in a way that eBay will support.

I told them, in a polite way, I was willing to refund the postage, or if not they can return the item, less postage cost, as I sent it and after checking, I'll refund full amount.

They replied with a slightly higher than postage amount suggested for the partial refund and politeness to conclude the sale.

Now, as anyone who's sold on eBay for a while will know, the buyer has all the protection (good in most cases) the seller has none, its extremely hard to deal with negative feedback, and neutral isn't much better. So, you are essentially strong-armed to settle to the buyers favour, or risk being screwed from using the platform.

Sure enough, it's on their non-linked business account page for a considerably higher amount, and the lens is separate, for a silly price also. Effectively a 2/3rd price gouge.

Now, forgive the length of this venting, but I gave the buyer a chance to simply state they are buying to flip, honestly I'd have been less annoyed, but they simply disregarded and played on simply observed issues I know we're not present (lens clouding and failing foam seals).

Yet, I'm fairly certain they have not actually committed anything nefarious, simply they have found a way to make more money.

It leaves a bad taste as once again, life proves dishonesty is indeed profitable.

I'm one person, who probably wouldn't have purchased from the business shop, so to them- no loss, but I will certainly be eyeing eBay with far more skepticism and never purchasing anything from a certain Brixton based store ever.

Picture enclosed to reflect where it ended up leaving my mood today.DSC02810.jpg

you can always leave them a salty nice business review on their google/facebook/twitter/etc... but yea, that's some shady shit right there. you're right to want to vent.
Thanks for the support Beth, a new Google review for the company was left tonight, and as is rarely the surprise, another very similar experience was there from someone else a couple of months back. The good reviews they have overwhelmingly stretch back a year or more.

It's a lesson that, viewing with some positivity, has cold showered any GAS and eBay browsing I've been doing!

Doing things at the very limit of the business morals (if not treading on the edge of it) seems to be a thing today. I have not been in a situation such as yours, but I do empathize, really. I am sorry you have been experiencing this!

Anything you could do to turn this in your favour?
Simply remember I paid less than half of what I sold it on for Julian, so it's not truly a loss, rather the morals this company showed in the situation is as you say, all too familiar.

Back