Do you have a favourite image?

Tony Warren

I have an image that I come back to time and again, one I never seem to tire of. Over my long involvement with photography I have many images I am proud of that have won award and even money. But this one never ceases to calm me and gives a great feeing of satisfaction.

I took the photo very early one morning on a visit to Bath, UK back in 1984 to deposit my elder daughter at her college for the start of a new term. Sleeping on her floor meant I was up early! It is of Pultney Bridge just above the weir. The birds and the light on the balustrade and its shadow really give depth. I always feel calmed and at peace with the world when I look at it.

So, anyone else have a similar image?

Attachments

• Pultney Bridge.jpeg
    Pultney Bridge.jpeg
    523.4 KB · Views: 19
that's some really nice light on the bridge. seems calm and peaceful.

i always liked this one the best. in florida, no far from where my brother lived. i could hear the banjo music in my head as i pulled up, but it was a pretty cool spot.

50821510918_0df3a216cf_c.jpg

Back in August 1983 a friend and I were doing a tour around the western part of Zimbabwe. We had been visiting the grave of Cecil John Rhodes in the Matopo Hills south of Bulawayo and were on our way back to Bulawayo when we saw this donkey cart on the side of the road. We were travelling fairly slowly and I was not driving and so I managed to get a quick snapshot. It was only when I got the slide film back from processing that I read the sign on the side of the cart: "MR. SENI MOYO. 2835. SILOZWE SCHOOL. VUSUMUZI. MATOPOS." The donkey cart was actually a school bus and the "driver" was sitting in the back wearing an orange hat.

I called this photo "Matopos School Bus".

Last edited:
Very good idea for the thread and love all the images so far :)

I would have to think about this, but one that came to mind was this one.snow on monaro.jpg

It was one of the brief and shortlived snowfalls we get in this area (the Monaro in south eastern NSW) and as I remember I made a slightly frantic dash in the Land Rover to look for photos. I was a bit stressed tbh but this scene caught my attention.
I explored it for a while, most of the stress slipped away and this was the one I liked best. For some reason I'd only brought my 70-200mm so this is a stitch of multiple shots. Simple, but I love how it came out and it's definitely one that I return to and like every time. For me it really captures the brief stillness of the moment and beauty of the landscape kind of transformed by the snow.

I would have to think about this, but one that came to mind was this one.View attachment 19844

It was one of the brief and shortlived snowfalls we get in this area (the Monaro in south eastern NSW) and as I remember I made a slightly frantic dash in the Land Rover to look for photos. I was a bit stressed tbh but this scene caught my attention.
I explored it for a while, most of the stress slipped away and this was the one I liked best. For some reason I'd only brought my 70-200mm so this is a stitch of multiple shots. Simple, but I love how it came out and it's definitely one that I return to and like every time. For me it really captures the brief stillness of the moment and beauty of the landscape kind of transformed by the snow.
love this. i can see why it's your favorite.

Identifying a favorite image is a tough task. It seems I have a different favorite every few days or so. However, one of the images that always delights me is the one below. It wasn't one of mine.

When she was about 6 years old I bought Daughter #2 (Meg by name) a Polaroid i-Zone camera. These were plastic things about 4 inches long that produced a self-developing image about the size of a postage stamp. Some years ago I came across a small cache of i-Zone images that Meg had taken. They were in a box and hadn't seen the light of day for 20 years, I'd guess. This image was among them. It's her first "selfie" and that impish smile always delights me. I had no idea she had taken this picture until I found it in that box. She's 28 now and still photogenic.

Not a great photo in terms of technicality - but this is one of my favorite photos I have. I took this with a Nex-7 and a Minolta 50mmf2.0.

There is a few reason why I love this photo. One, because it is one of my favorite Hot-Rods ever built. It was built in the 80s by a well known/respected innovative builder who is no longer living. His son always wanted one of the cars that his father built, but they were all squirreled away in collections or lost to time. However, this car reappeared on the market in a poor condition. The owner of the shop I worked for at the time brokered the deal. However the car had not ran in quite some time which was an issue due to the rather unique engine in it, and it had been wrecked (former owner lost control, drove it through the back of his own garage.

I was tasked with repairing the car and "bringing it back to life." This required quite a bit of work - suspension, electrical, mechanical, fabrication, etc. I even 3d modeled and 3d printed some of the parts needed. The car was an absolute blast to drive when it done - and it was really nice to continue the work of a builder that was part of hot-rodding history. Some cars are just cars, but some have an undeniable character that leaves a lasting impression.

I also like this picture because because the lighting - the sun was setting at the shop and it just so happened the sun was setting on my 20 year career in hot-rod building as well. The car being well lit, in it's box of spotlight and yet the person responsible for the work behind it (represented by the tool box) is in the shadows, out of the limelight. That is pretty representative of the industry. Within a year of taking this pic, and the car being done - I quit my job at one of the more prestigious shops on this side of the country, stopped doing additional work out of my own facilities, and transitioned to a career that was lower impact, lower stress, higher pay, and with benefits - and more importantly doesn't take advantage of the people who work in it. As much as I love(d) building cars - it is an industry where the skilled workers are not appreciated, are grossly underpaid, and things like benefits and time off are non-existent. Even more so if you are good at it. I finished two or three more complete builds before I quit - as I was the only one at the shop who could - and haven't really looked back. This car, sitting in my corner of the shop with my tool cart was pretty much the last Hot-Rod that I was involved with that reminded me of why I love the cars, culture, history, and importance of ones like this.

53460088549_056c538fd7_b.jpg

her first "selfie"
Wonderful 😀 both the image and the story behind it.
Not a great photo in terms of technicality - but this is one of my favorite photos I have. I took this with a Nex-7 and a Minolta 50mmf2.0.

There is a few reason why I love this photo. One, because it is one of my favorite Hot-Rods ever built. It was built in the 80s by a well known/respected innovative builder who is no longer living. His son always wanted one of the cars that his father built, but they were all squirreled away in collections or lost to time. However, this car reappeared on the market in a poor condition. The owner of the shop I worked for at the time brokered the deal. However the car had not ran in quite some time which was an issue due to the rather unique engine in it, and it had been wrecked (former owner lost control, drove it through the back of his own garage.
Thats a wonderfully classic looking hot rod 🤩. And a lovely image. I'm a great fan of harsh light and shadows and that image ticks all the boxes. As someone with a long running interest in cars (albeit rather less exciting ones) I do relate to your tale as well. It's a hard trade/industry without a doubt.

P.S. do you have any photos or videos of the car in action? Bet it sounds awesome 😎

I have an image that I come back to time and again, one I never seem to tire of. Over my long involvement with photography I have many images I am proud of that have won award and even money. But this one never ceases to calm me and gives a great feeing of satisfaction.

I took the photo very early one morning on a visit to Bath, UK back in 1984 to deposit my elder daughter at her college for the start of a new term. Sleeping on her floor meant I was up early! It is of Pultney Bridge just above the weir. The birds and the light on the balustrade and its shadow really give depth. I always feel calmed and at peace with the world when I look at it.

So, anyone else have a similar image?
The light on that bridge is sublime, Tony.

Back in August 1983 a friend and I were doing a tour around the part of Zimbabwe. We had been visiting the grave of Cecil John Rhodes in the Matopo Hills south of Bulawayo and were on our way back to Bulawayo when we saw this donkey cart on the side of the road. We were travelling fairly slowly and I was not driving and so I managed to get a quick snapshot. It was only when I got the slide film back from processing that I read the sign on the side of the cart: "MR. SENI MOYO. 2835. SILOZWE SCHOOL. VUSUMUZI. MATOPOS." The donkey cart was actually a school bus and the "driver" was sitting in the back wearing an orange hat.

Quite a funny "street" photo, Laurence. a wonderful capture, too.

Wonderful 😀 both the image and the story behind it.

Thats a wonderfully classic looking hot rod 🤩. And a lovely image. I'm a great fan of harsh light and shadows and that image ticks all the boxes. As someone with a long running interest in cars (albeit rather less exciting ones) I do relate to your tale as well. It's a hard trade/industry without a doubt.

P.S. do you have any photos or videos of the car in action? Bet it sounds awesome 😎

I have more photos of the car, but sadly no videos. It was powered by a prototype GM V6 that was basically a big block chevy V8 with two cylinder lobbed off. The builder worked out a deal and acquired six of them. They were made for a racing program, and then a rule change deemed them outdated. This one was topped with a B&M roots supercharger and fuel injection controlled by an old 80s B&M engine controller. I have an article from the mid-80s showcasing the car where it reportedly made over 400hp. The ol' butt-dyno would confirm. It also had a sprint car style torsion bar from suspension, quick change rear end, and custom center-lock wheels. The windshield was a cut down VW bug. The think handled great, made plenty of power, and the sound of the V6 and blower was quite different from the usual V8 noises cars like this made. The builder's most famous car was a '32 with a Ferrari V12. I bet that was a hoot too.

I was tasked with repairing the car and "bringing it back to life." This required quite a bit of work - suspension, electrical, mechanical, fabrication, etc. I even 3d modeled and 3d printed some of the parts needed. The car was an absolute blast to drive when it done - and it was really nice to continue the work of a builder that was part of hot-rodding history. Some cars are just cars, but some have an undeniable character that leaves a lasting impression.

I also like this picture because because the lighting - the sun was setting at the shop and it just so happened the sun was setting on my 20 year career in hot-rod building as well. The car being well lit, in it's box of spotlight and yet the person responsible for the work behind it (represented by the tool box) is in the shadows, out of the limelight. That is pretty representative of the industry. Within a year of taking this pic, and the car being done - I quit my job at one of the more prestigious shops on this side of the country, stopped doing additional work out of my own facilities, and transitioned to a career that was lower impact, lower stress, higher pay, and with benefits - and more importantly doesn't take advantage of the people who work in it. As much as I love(d) building cars - it is an industry where the skilled workers are not appreciated, are grossly underpaid, and things like benefits and time off are non-existent. Even more so if you are good at it. I finished two or three more complete builds before I quit - as I was the only one at the shop who could - and haven't really looked back. This car, sitting in my corner of the shop with my tool cart was pretty much the last Hot-Rod that I was involved with that reminded me of why I love the cars, culture, history, and importance of ones like this.

What a compelling story, Paul. And a photo to match. By the way, I can corroborate what you say about the automobile industry. Although I worked in a different area of the industry, I wholeheartedly agree that skilled workers are not appreciated.

Identifying a favorite image is a tough task. It seems I have a different favorite every few days or so. However, one of the images that always delights me is the one below. It wasn't one of mine.

When she was about 6 years old I bought Daughter #2 (Meg by name) a Polaroid i-Zone camera. These were plastic things about 4 inches long that produced a self-developing image about the size of a postage stamp. Some years ago I came across a small cache of i-Zone images that Meg had taken. They were in a box and hadn't seen the light of day for 20 years, I'd guess. This image was among them. It's her first "selfie" and that impish smile always delights me. I had no idea she had taken this picture until I found it in that box. She's 28 now and still photogenic.

Wonderful Brian and very ahead of her time.

that's some really nice light on the bridge. seems calm and peaceful.

i always liked this one the best. in florida, no far from where my brother lived. i could hear the banjo music in my head as i pulled up, but it was a pretty cool spot.

50821510918_0df3a216cf_c.jpg
Nice memory Beth - what it is about sometimes.

What a great shot and such a great memory. Sums up a life indeed and the detail in the car is really elegant. I can see why you admire its author so much. Art in its own way.

I would have to think about this, but one that came to mind was this one.View attachment 19844

Lovely result - the panoramic treatment really suits it. Colour harmony is spot on too.

Back in August 1983 a friend and I were doing a tour around the part of Zimbabwe. We had been visiting the grave of Cecil John Rhodes in the Matopo Hills south of Bulawayo and were on our way back to Bulawayo when we saw this donkey cart on the side of the road. We were travelling fairly slowly and I was not driving and so I managed to get a quick snapshot. It was only when I got the slide film back from processing that I read the sign on the side of the cart: "MR. SENI MOYO. 2835. SILOZWE SCHOOL. VUSUMUZI. MATOPOS." The donkey cart was actually a school bus and the "driver" was sitting in the back wearing an orange hat.

A C-B decisive moment indeed. Without the jolly reaction of the tea cosy wearing individual it wouldn't be half as effective. Lifted my spirits.

This photo is so beautiful that I would make a photo book out of it: Cover, page 3 Title page, page 5 Preface (with two-three unintelligible words by one of "those who know things"), page 7 Photo, Back-cover. Hardcover, offset printed, 200-gram breaded paper. It would go down a storm.
What mystery lies behind the hooded girl's sardonic smile? Why does her face sparkle? And the one behind her, why is she turning her back?
It's either a dream or a nightmare. Regardless of whether it is a family keepsake, I can see why you love this photo so much, Brian.

Last edited:
Back