Don't know that I'd call myself a "real" photographer...

John Allen

but I sure do love taking pictures and love all of the gear that goes with it.

------ Long, probably boring, memoir below ------

I was born in 1947 and had a Kodak Brownie for my first camera. I shot a lot of film for about 20 years from the early 60's through the early 80's. I made pinhole cameras, had a darkroom that was used mostly for b&w, had an Olympus OM-1 and Om-2 with lots of Zuiko lenses and accessories, bought a Polaroid SX-70 (loved that camera), and had a plethora of bits and pieces related to photography. That all dribbled away over the years until I was left with an Olympus XA2 that I had bought for my parents. I don't even have that camera anymore.

For what seemed like a really long time, I went without a decent camera. I shot plenty of photos during that time, but only because when I was at an event someone would hand me a camera and say, "Here, you do it. You take better pictures than I do." I didn't even get on the digital bandwagon until 2002 or 2003. That's when my son bought a new digital camera and gave me his Kodak DC28o 2.1mp camera. What a revelation, no film. No need to choose between negative, positive, or b&w. No development hassles, no sending away for contact sheets or prints. Just compose, push a button, and review instantly. I've been hooked on digital ever since. I moved up to an Olympus bridge camera in 2006 and used that until I bought my first Nikon dslr. I'm now on my third Nikon, D7200, and thinking about my next upgrade probably later this year. Finally, 40 years after my photog glory days, I'm back in the saddle again.

That all sounds good, except that there was something missing. I just couldn't let go of the memories of the joy of shooting with film. It gnawed at me until I finally broke down recently and bought myself a vintage Om-1n, two of them, actually, with a zuiko 50mm f/1.4 and a T20 flash. When I unpacked the first OM-1 I'd bought off ebay and held it in my hands the memories came flooding back.

It's amazing how much this fairly small purchase, small when compared to the thousands I've spent on digital, has affected me. I have a feeling there will be more film cameras in my future. I am once again in touch with that young boy who fell in love with photography the moment he looked at the first pictures he'd taken with a Kodak Brownie.

Last edited:
What a nice story, John. And you seem to be coming full circle. I can appreciate your appreciation of your OM-1. I often shoot with an OM-2n and I adore that camera. Thanks for posting.

Welcome John reading your story brings back my own memories and like you I have got back in touch with film and manual cameras and am totally hooked again.
Your find the group here really friendly bunch and very helpful it you come up with any problems.
I'm actually considering selling all my digital and just shooting film.

Thanks, everyone. I'm a little familiar with everyone that's replied, because I lurked for a while and read posts by each of you before joining. I think I'm going to like it here. I guarantee I'll have lots of questions. I intend to clean and refurbish both of the OM-1s I just bought. Hopefully, I'll have some test photos soon. More serious photos will have to wait until the meters have been tested. Thanks again for the friendly welcome.

What part of the world do you inhabit, John?
Michigan, USA. It's in the Great Lakes region of the U.S. I live about 15 miles as the crow flies from the base of Saginaw Bay on Lake Huron. There is a waterfowl refuge on the Bay that is not far from here. The funny thing is, I've never gone there with a camera. BIF just aren't my thing.

Welcome John,

I too had a Box Brownie as the first camera I owned. 120 roll film and pure simplicity. I still have it though have not used film for more than a decade now.

I did not miss your comments the other day, but I missed the point that you were a new member as I in my bewilderment thought that you were a long missed one returning. So old man:rolleyes:, as I am a 49er, a very welcome to you and I have to admit that your history in regard to photography is quite similar to my own. Except that I have not turned back to film. Too lazy I guess. Saginaw Michigan is a place I once passed, but a song I hum on and which text I know inside out as the cliche text appeals to me. A country boy at heart! So a warm welcome to you sir.

Thanks for the welcome, Milan and Ivar. I should pick up a Brownie similar to what I used. I'm sure there are plenty of them on ebay. And, Ivar, believe it or not, I don't know hardly any of the words to that song.

Back