Dorothea Lange

I'm not sure I'll get there but it would be good to see.

https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-44547160

_102123920_3.-dorothea-lange-migratory-cotton-picker-eloy-arizona-1940-the-oakland-museum-of-california.jpg

Wonderfull images there. Were they all done with a field camera? I read she staged some of them, but still, amazing stuff.

Last edited:
Powerful stuff, Pete. Thanks for posting.

I used to work with a fellow who, as a toddler, had been interred along with his family at one of the camps for people of Japanese descent. He had a few memories, though not a lot. His family had owned a home and a grocery store here in Southern California. They lost everything. The government had paid them 10 cents on the dollar for the lot. A sad chapter in American history. (Although at least they kept the children with the parents!)

By the way, while their relatives were interred in concentration camps many of the young men of fighting age enlisted in the US Army. They formed the 442nd Regiment and they fought in Europe. They became the most decorated unit in the US Army. Among the decorations were 21 Medal of Honor recipients (the US equivalent in status to the VC). I currently work with a lady whose uncle was one of the 21. It was a posthumous award, as so many are.

Back