Doxie Flip - Cordless Flatbed Photo & Notebook Scanner

Chris Dodkin

West Coast Correspondent
I was looking for a portable field scanner - so that I could scan my Instax photos in the field, rather than having to wait to get back home to the desk scanner.

I can across this rather interesting little scanner - the Doxie Flip

scanner-open-notebooks-med.jpg

Battery powered, 300/600 DPI, scans to SD Flash card, Glass 4x6" (A6) scanning surface

Looks like a good idea - then I spotted that it can also do this

scanner-slipped-yearbook-med.png

You remove the lid, flip it over, and you can scan actual objects!

Doxie Flip has a removable lid and transparent scanning window, so you scan notebooks, old photo albums, even interesting surfaces – just flip Doxie over and place it safely and directly on your originals. Doxie’s window lets you see what you’re scanning as it happens, so every scan is perfect.

Now that's just genius - might have to get one for Christmas :)

http://www.getdoxie.com/product/flip/index.html

$149 at most online retailers

there's been big discussions on this on the Field Notes forums :) it seems to be a good thing indeed though they are using theirs to scan their field notes

Chris,...you must need speed! Me,...if I shoot a polaroid I just wait until I get home to scan it. Or if I'm at home when I shoot the picture, I just wait until I walk over to my computer to scan it. But come to think of it, this would save me walking to my computer! Brilliant!;))

Oh Chris,...thanks for the link to your Instax shots that you posted last night. Sorry I didn't respond then. Some smashing shots (I think I'd seen several on RPF before; still, 'twas nice to see them again. I liked the car shots.)

Chris,...you must need speed! Me,...if I shoot a polaroid I just wait until I get home to scan it. Or if I'm at home when I shoot the picture, I just wait until I walk over to my computer to scan it. But come to think of it, this would save me walking to my computer! Brilliant!;))
Well, I was sitting out in AZ with my Instax photos saying to myself - if only I had a scanner and could share these with Brian today! ;)
Oh Chris,...thanks for the link to your Instax shots that you posted last night. Sorry I didn't respond then. Some smashing shots (I think I'd seen several on RPF before; still, 'twas nice to see them again. I liked the car shots.)
Glad you liked 'em - thanks for getting me to get off my @rse and actually take some more photos with it! :D

there's been big discussions on this on the Field Notes forums :) it seems to be a good thing indeed though they are using theirs to scan their field notes
Davie - what exactly is the whole field notes thing then?

Davie - what exactly is the whole field notes thing then?

it pretty much is what Pete said :) the field notes brand makes 48page notebooks in the style of the old agricultural books... they have a new edition every season which makes them collectable and identifiable. I love em personally

moleskines are ok but lack the geek value, my favourite field notes is the expedition which is writable in the mud, rain etc and pairs beautifully with the fisher space pen

Yes, the Moleskine is better suited to a small table at an outside cafe in the sun! ;)

no,no,no,no ... though in saying that i'm not married to field notes, I have some japanese ones, some word bandana patterned one too :) I have 3 plain brown moleskine ones but they will be stamped with my company logo and given away as promo items on the tours

Back