Duxford Airfield (Imperial War Museum)

Bob Janes

Lots of very good static displays, mainly military, but plenty of civil aircraft represented. In addition to static displays, Duxford hosts a wide range of flying aircraft and aircraft being restored. On most days when there is reasonable weather you are likely to see classic planes in the air – they host passenger flights in two-seat spitfires on a regular basis, as well as Tiger Moths and DH Dragon Rapides.

Other regular flying classics include Kitty Hawk, Corsair, Hurricane, Bearcat, Sea Fury

On summer days when people are getting ready for airshows, you may be lucky and see their B17 or Catalina in the air.

Entry is expensive (over £26 for an adult), but if you are close enough to visit regularly, a £60 membership gets you in whenever you like to visit in a calendar year.
i-XL4gDfj-L.jpg

i-zzrn5qs-L.jpgi-Xrb7vCj-L.jpgi-NQjBDxS-L.jpgi-GkpRjvT-L.jpg

I have never been there, but would enjoy it I'm sure.

What a great set of images you have there. I really like flying boats and so the shot of the Catalina appeals particularly, but the one from the interior is very striking too. Have you even been to the museum in Southampton?

I have never been there, but would enjoy it I'm sure.

What a great set of images you have there. I really like flying boats and so the shot of the Catalina appeals particularly, but the one from the interior is very striking too. Have you even been to the museum in Southampton?
I've not, but will look it up!
i-gMMb2pv-L.jpg

I would like to attend a show like this one day

I would like to attend a show like this one day
I stress, these shots were not taken on a show day - there is quite often interesting stuff flying out and being tested, even in the colder months. In summer it gets busier as the aircraft are often being flight tested prior to flying out to displays at Duxford and elsewhere in the country.

You have a real talent, I have seen such beauty before only on REMOVED by ADMIN
but here I see the author, a real artist
but I am very pleased with the wonderful paintings I have purchased

Back