Edinburgh Castle and Environs, Snowbound

Now there's a superb set Rob and a great choice of toning. I like them all but, if forced to choose, then the last would be my favourite. It's amazing what you can get onto one roll of film when you need to think about each shot isn't it? :)

There's a few white specks on some of them in the sky areas. At first I thought it was flakes of snow but now I'm not sure. Are they marks on the negatives?

Thanks, Pete. Yes the specks are on the negatives. I could have easily taken them out in Elements, but thought they should stay, if only to show that they were from film originally. But I guess that is obvious. And besides, there are filters now which add these things in!

I've noticed how with film, my framing is getting better. No cropping required. Whereas with digital, I frequently crop. This could be a result of my taking more time due to each shot having to be worthwhile, not wanting to use up film; or I use the viewfinder less on a digital camera, relying more on the screen display. I think shooting film will improve my digital shooting.

wow love them rob, all great POV, also love the treatment you have added in PP.

great set :)

I am thinking you must return to shot 2 at dusk with castle just lit up, a little light left in sky and that lamp lit up on the left could be an incredible shot

Just at thought ;)

Daz

Wow - brilliant, and love the toning

1, 2 and 5 - 5 especially for me

Just bought some HP5 - how did you find it to use/scan/PP?

Any city location in the snow is just wonderland I reckon, but this is at the next level

Pete's got the sharpest eye's online - so if you need any scans inspected for dust bunnies, he's you man ;)

Thanks, everyone.

Dan - it's a possibility. I'll see what I can do.

Chris - HP5 was easy to use. I just put it the camera and clicked. What's so hard about that? :p I got it scanned by wedevelopfilms (we always mention Joan, but the star is Alison, who does the developing and scanning) and put on CD. As for pp, Auld Nik loves it.

I'm really loving sending off the film and waiting for the return - such a different experience from digital. In fact, I'd forgotten about this roll until the postie brought the CD and negs. That was a nice surprise. A year ago, when I got my first film camera, the Pentax K1000, I would only get two or three decent shots out of a roll of 36, but now I'm getting at least a dozen. The T90 helps, but it's the same with Rhona's Canon AE-1. I must be improving! And this forum has helped in that. Thanks to everyone here!

Wonderful set, Rob. I like especially the view of the castle with the gravestones in the foreground. The graves lend an added element of foreboding. All excellent.

Thanks, Brian. What I like about that one is the three levels - read that however you like - and they are all made of stone. Was I thinking that when lining up the shot? No. But there was something there, and photography gives us the luxury of time to revisit the scene and contemplate the moment.

Well, there we go :)

Just noticed that out of my Top Ten liked images on Flickr, every single one is from film, not digital. Just saying...

This new film stuff is indeed intriguing Rob :D

Now there's a superb set Rob and a great choice of toning. I like them all but, if forced to choose, then the last would be my favourite. It's amazing what you can get onto one roll of film when you need to think about each shot isn't it? :)

There's a few white specks on some of them in the sky areas. At first I thought it was flakes of snow but now I'm not sure. Are they marks on the negatives?
It's amazing.....what a man can say at times, but Rob don't you think about each shot every time you "shoot?";) as I hope we all do. But I guess he has a point. Sorry Pete, could not help myself:).

Well, I hope I do think about every shot, but I guess with film you are maybe extra careful.

I'd forgotten about these images - not bad, I think!

Last edited:
I was going to say how good these were and also to remark that I think I had seen them before. Then I realize its an old post. Still great to see them again, though.

Cheers, Brian. I still have the T90 and the Hexar, a couple of Nettars, and the RB67 - so I've not given up on film, just can't afford to use it for a while. But I will get back to it, for sure.

Back