Ethics of using images of other people's art

Brian Moore

Some years ago I took some photos of light beams during a light installation created by the artist Anthony McCall. I like a few of the photos I took and I would like to use one or another for a project. (The image would be for sale for charity.) However, I don't know what the ethics are with that. I went to Mr. McCall's website and used the "Contact" page to explain what I wanted to do and to ask permission to use the images I took. That was weeks ago. No response. I'm not expecting anyone on RPF to provide legal advice, but I am interested in your thoughts on this matter. All opinions are welcome. Thanks.

My own rule for using other people's work in an image is that I must add something unique to it myself. So, for example, at an outdoor installation I attended, I spent some time snapping the interesting ways that some of the other viewers were interacting with the pieces. If I don't add something of my own, I tend not to show the photo to people except, on occasion, as a record of something of interest.

My own rule for using other people's work in an image is that I must add something unique to it myself. So, for example, at an outdoor installation I attended, I spent some time snapping the interesting ways that some of the other viewers were interacting with the pieces. If I don't add something of my own, I tend not to show the photo to people except, on occasion, as a record of something of interest.
That strikes me as a very good standard to uphold. Thanks for your thoughts on this, Chris.

It does seem a good ethical standard. Selling pictures of an exhibition / installation feel like they need consent though and so I guess you just need to wait or chase the artist.
Thanks Pete. I'm very reluctant to do anything on this without permission. I'm also very reluctant to chase the artist. So I guess the idea will go into the "just an idea" bin. Thanks for your thoughts, Pete.

I submitted some unusual infrared Ektachrome transparencies of light beams for a photography class in 1977 and the professor 'lost them'. I always wondered if he 'found' them later.

At this point in time, had they been used in some way by someone else, I could see them again! (Minimalist optimism attempt).

Personally, I would think there is not much to lose by contacting the artist with the concept...not necessarily mentioning the existence of photos yet.

Sometimes people are open to ideas...

I have a (strange?) tendency to write to people with questions.

Sometimes 'releasing' the question leads to valuable (to me) answers, and other times my mind is freed to think about the topic from other angles.

Some e-mails do get ignored. Some replies are delayed.

Personally, I would think there is not much to lose by contacting the artist with the concept...not necessarily mentioning the existence of photos yet.

Sometimes people are open to ideas...

I have a (strange?) tendency to write to people with questions.

Sometimes 'releasing' the question leads to valuable (to me) answers, and other times my mind is freed to think about the topic from other angles.

Some e-mails do get ignored. Some replies are delayed.
Thanks Murray. I appreciate your thoughts.

Back