Expired Instax

Aaron J. Heiner

first off, I'm not going to bullshit and say I shoot mostly film. I shot film for many, many years until my newspaper founds it was too cost prohibitive and we went digital. And, while I do have two film eaters that get some use, I'm pretty much aware of how conventional film expires and still has a usable life although with some color shifting or contrast fading. However, I have only had the pleasure of using Polaroid in the backs of some medium format gear back in the late 80's, early 90's and suspect the same is true for expired Polaroid film.

Currently, I'm sort of borking around with a Fuji Instax Neo 90 as a break from digital for this year. Sadly in the states, all the film is plain jane white boarder vanilla, ISO800.In Japan, while it is still ISO800, there are all sorts of colored and designer limited edition borders for the film. Finding new film while in Japan is easy, however stateside, I tend to have to order it from the ilks of Amazon and dare I say eBay.

So my question here is, recently, I got a nice limited edition film pack that arrived from Japan and it is set to expire in May of this year. Since, I'm not sure when I am going to use it, (It is called dalmatian, but it looks like cow spots to me, so it's going to get used at a farm to do cows!) it is sitting inside a fridge. I assume many of the usual trite for Instax are the same as film, refrigerate, keep exposure to light down, and possibly expect some color and hue shifting; or does consumer grade instant filmed geared towards teenage girls packaged with an expire date long sooner than when it will actually begin to degrade?

Yes, I know this was a long winded post from a newsman who is suppose to observe brevity in his writings.

I'm sure you are right and that the colours might shift a bit. Longer term the problem is with the chemistry in the pouch drying out but I managed to get some SX-70 film to work that was nearly 20 years too old. Some shots did't get developed uniformly though and another pack was completely useless. You'll probably be OK for a year or so though.

Thanks Pete. I'll likely shoot this pack long before it hits a year after expatriation. I wasn't sure if the Fuji version operated the same way Poloroid does, or if it was more related to those new ZINK system a lot of the manufactures are turning to.

Back