Feeling The Pull Of The Sigma Quattro

Rob MacKillop

Edinburgh Correspondent
Just read a review on Amazon, comparing the DP2 Quattro to the DP2 Merrill:

========================================================
After using the Sigma DP2 Merrill (and the DP1 and DP3 Merrill) for almost 2 years, the DP2 Quattro is a welcome upgrade in usability and image quality. Here's what I like about the DP2 Quattro compared to the DP2 Merrill:

1. Improved battery life, 2-3 times as many shots on one charge. I rarely need to change the battery more than once a day.
2. Much faster write times. Under 5 seconds shooting RAW+JPEG.
3. Higher resolution display (no more jello shake).
4. Better control layout - dedicated top dial for exposure compensation & better spacing of the buttons.
5. Improved Q menu that works with the new front control dial.
6. Improved build quality. The rubber grip and rough body textures offer an improvement in handling over the slippery finish on the Merrill.
7. Much better out-of-camera jpegs for fast proofing when shooting RAW+JPEG
8. Higher resolution images with improved sharpness and rendering of fine detail.
9. Improved dynamic range. Fewer blown out highlights compared to the Merrill.
10. More natural looking 14-bit color. Blues in particular are more accurate.
11. The unique grip design for improved stability and handling.
12. At least a full stop of improvement in ISO performance.
13. Improved white balance.
14. Built-in level.
15. USB remote shutter release option.
16. New design makes the memory card and battery doors more easily accessible when on a tripod.
17. 21:9 aspect ratio option.
18. Stiffer control dials, the Merrill's dial is more prone to accidental movement.
19. New lens hood design provides easier access to filters (the tradeoff is it's larger).

While not a camera for casual use – it's still slow, poor above 800 ISO and lacks 3rd party RAW support – if you're a landscape, nature or fine art photographer the Quattro will reward you with spectacular levels of detail that no other camera anywhere near its price range can match.

========================================================

I'm interested in many of these things, but especially the improved colour and white balance. I think the Merrills are great cameras for black and white, colour less so. And just occasionally the images are a little too stiff, too harsh - it's hard to describe. Reading other reviews, I see that they have really sorted that as well.

And, although the Quattro is a weird shape, I do like its styling. The DP2Q has been out for a while now, and the DP1Q came out just before Christmas. I'll start saving for one...and hope for a price drop too.

Mind you, the Sigma SD1 - the interchangeable lens version of the Merrills - has dropped to half price. Might be of interest to some:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=455344027&pf_rd_i=468294
Rob I was soon going to get the Quattro but have changed my mind after spending time viewing and following chat from Foveon users I repsect as Photographers. I have also as in yesterday been looking at the SD1 and thought I could get the 18-50 f1.8 ART lens, stunning by all accounts along with the new Siogma 50 f1.4 ART which has created a huge stir , although being 50mm against the Ziess Otus at £3,500 the new Sigma stands up very well against it at £650. The only and one thing that puts me off the SD! is the size and goind back to a hefty DSLR camera.
I'd fnd this by selling the 5DMK2 and various lenses which aught to cover it all and change.
The Quattro is a big disappointment to many, has already been discounted by £150 unlike the Merrils which held there price for a long time after release. It could indicate the disappointment also. But rubbish to one person is gold to another.

A link to discussions which start off positive but slowly tilt tuther direction, many positives along with the negatives. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/51137-sigma-dp2-quattro-shots.html

Personally I think I'd like the camera having and many of the issues raised by Quentin are there but I'd probably not notice them too much. I agree totally the harshness or over micro contrast sometimes and am always working towards a method to keep the clarity but soften the images.

Interesting stuff. I had been considering the DP1 Quattro (before it came out). However, I haven't missed that focal length but I might still be tempted.

I saw somewhere that the sensor in the Quatro series has some issues with blown highlights. The thing that would be appealing though it has a cable release function. I am still mystified why the Merrill series doesn't.

Rob I was soon going to get the Quattro but have changed my mind after spending time viewing and following chat from Foveon users I repsect as Photographers. I have also as in yesterday been looking at the SD1 and thought I could get the 18-50 f1.8 ART lens, stunning by all accounts along with the new Siogma 50 f1.4 ART which has created a huge stir , although being 50mm against the Ziess Otus at £3,500 the new Sigma stands up very well against it at £650. The only and one thing that puts me off the SD! is the size and goind back to a hefty DSLR camera.
I'd fnd this by selling the 5DMK2 and various lenses which aught to cover it all and change.
The Quattro is a big disappointment to many, has already been discounted by £150 unlike the Merrils which held there price for a long time after release. It could indicate the disappointment also. But rubbish to one person is gold to another.

A link to discussions which start off positive but slowly tilt tuther direction, many positives along with the negatives. http://www.getdpi.com/forum/other-cameras/51137-sigma-dp2-quattro-shots.html

Personally I think I'd like the camera having and many of the issues raised by Quentin are there but I'd probably not notice them too much. I agree totally the harshness or over micro contrast sometimes and am always working towards a method to keep the clarity but soften the images.

I think there are some serious issues with the sensor and highlights Julian. I was looking into them about a month ago. I am very happy with the Merrills except for the lack of a cable release.

Back