First Film Processed In Caffenol

Tom Dunne

Finally got round to it last night and scanned the negs this morning.
Cheap Agfa Vista Colour Film ASA 200. Processed in Caffenol using B/W film process and scanned as Monochrome Negative. Camera used was Holga 135BC.
I'm very happy with these results as a first attempt and am delighted with the whole process. Here's a half dozen from the first roll.
Thanks to Brian for his help and encouragement.

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0012.jpg

IMG_0013.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

These are looking very good Tom. Love the intersecting goals and the way you have framed the city behind. And the symmetry of the pavilion is very satisfying indeed. My favourite though is the first. The dense shadows and the way the trees in the foreground have merged with those in the background give a dream-like, almost nightmarish feel to the image. Superb.

Very nicely done, Tom. The Holga pairs quite well with Caffenol.

Coincidentally I developed two rolls in Caffenol yesterday with the objective being to remind myself how and to write up something for the RPF blog. The negs don't look good, unfortunately. I'll see how they scan this morning.

These are looking very good Tom. Love the intersecting goals and the way you have framed the city behind. And the symmetry of the pavilion is very satisfying indeed. My favourite though is the first. The dense shadows and the way the trees in the foreground have merged with those in the background give a dream-like, almost nightmarish feel to the image. Superb.
Thanks so much Pete. That is Croydon in the background of some of the images. Holga behaved badly on the day; totally contrary when winding on.
The Trees; the first image is the family favourite also and mine too.

Very nicely done, Tom. The Holga pairs quite well with Caffenol.

Coincidentally I developed two rolls in Caffenol yesterday with the objective being to remind myself how and to write up something for the RPF blog. The negs don't look good, unfortunately. I'll see how they scan this morning.
Looking forward to seeing them Brian.
When I first looked at the processed film I thought there was nothing there at all. Happily, images appeared when I put it up to the light. Not very smooth last night; weighing scales started playing and I poured the fixer down the drain even though I had a bottle ready to put it into.
Hope to fine tune the process now. Get a little timer and small scales.
I like the whole idea of Holga and Caffenol, something very organic. I hope to get better negs with B/W film.
Thanks for your kind words on the images Brian

Very promising Tom - I'm rather partial to #3

Back