Critique Welcomed Five shots from a Afga Optima 335

Ilaria Brandi

Hi everyone! This is five shots I took with my fist real camera. I since got a new one I'm learning to use, so I thought I'd post some of my favorite old shots while I'm waiting on the first roll of film from the new camera being developed. Every advice is welcomed!
Screenshot_20240401_193025_Gallery.jpgI took this on a day trip to Marina di Ravenna, and it appears something malfunctioned; several frames in the roll came out black, others looked similar, like this one:

Screenshot_20240401_193108_Gallery.jpg
This was taken in Rimini and I quite liked the light.

Screenshot_20240401_193052_Gallery.jpgThis is the beach in Cesenatico; I really liked how the sky and the sea looked like they were the same color.

Screenshot_20240401_193140_Gallery.jpg
This is the harbour in Rimini; it's actually prohibited to enter in full sails.

Screenshot_20240401_193217_Gallery.jpg
Lastly, another one of the harbour.
This camera is not much more than a point and shoot, but I loved experimenting with it, and I'll keep bringing it around in my backpack when I want to travel light, but I'm excited to learn more!

Nice to meet you @Ilaria Brandi. In my opinion and for my taste, you have a great set of shots here. I particularly love the first three, but the whole series is made up of non-trivial shots and well-chosen/well-framed subjects. The malfunction added something more mysterious and artistic, but even without it I bet they would have been very good shots. My judgement is worth what it's worth, because I haven't used film for decades, so you'd better listen to others with more art and knowledge than me. What camera is it, out of curiosity?

Welcome Ilaria. I thought the first one was a sea mist and I found it interesting. All nice images despite the light leaks or whatever they are. The warm light in the final image is very pretty.

Nice to meet you @Ilaria Brandi. In my opinion and for my taste, you have a great set of shots here. I particularly love the first three, but the whole series is made up of non-trivial shots and well-chosen/well-framed subjects. The malfunction added something more mysterious and artistic, but even without it I bet they would have been very good shots. My judgement is worth what it's worth, because I haven't used film for decades, so you'd better listen to others with more art and knowledge than me. What camera is it, out of curiosity?
Agfa Optima 335 apparently.

@Ilaria Brandi - I wouldn't want the first one any other way. I know it can be frustrating when things don't turn out the way you want them, but sometimes serendipity plays a part, and 'problems' like light leaks can have a beneficial impact. In fact, people pay for digital editors to create such things, but it's always better when unintended.

I think you are off to a cracking start here, and I look forward to more from your new camera.

Back