Foggy night in Blenau Ffestiniog

Did you go up on the roofs to take the photo?
Nice shot with all that fog. I like the cut of the photo with all that empty space in the top right corner and the chimneys in the foreground. I don't like the colours, if I'm honest, but that's a matter of personal taste.

Thanks everyone!

Gianluca, it did take me a while to hit on this composition, especially as my movement was somewhat limited... glad you mentioned it!
As to colours, yes it's perhaps a bit of cliche, cold fog and warm lights, nothing else, but for me it gives the mood I was after :) I didn't do that much, just shifted a few hues a little.

Brian, yes, I was perched a on rocky outcrop which the houses below come right up to. It's an interesting town - built around slate quarrying I believe. It was a slightly scary spot to be. A few meters to my right was a shear drop to that street!

Gary.... all I can say is I wish! ;)

Shot with the D750 and 24-70mm f2.8 wide open at 1/40th, ISO 1250 (auto) and 34mm, according to the exif data. I dunno... I just zoomed in and out till it looked right!

Either you did a great job of reducing it or your camera's sensor is great.
Mostly the latter with the remaining credit going to Darktable - the D750 really is superb in low light. :D It's 'only' 24 MP on a full frame sensor, so the pixel size is almost like a 6MP on a 4/3 sensor.
I did use denoise profiled, but backed off to 50% from the default profile as I don't mind a bit of 'grain'.

Here's a screenshot from a 100% zoomed view, no denoise on right and as finished on left.Screenshot 2024-07-24 155809.jpg

sometimes the light at night and the night lights are such strange.
Maybe I did more than I thought... here it is again, with color balance rgb and color equalizer switched off.... (that is, no colour changes from the RAW file other than the added saturation from increasing contrast in Sigmoid) I'm not sure what I prefer now!
DSC_8076_01.jpg

Definitely a sensor that performs well in low light, but also a well-managed edit.

Comparing the two colour renderings, I would say that your interpretation is more artistic and less realistic, probably better than the less intensive editing, even if it ends up looking almost like a pure split-tone image.

Mostly the latter with the remaining credit going to Darktable - the D750 really is superb in low light. :D It's 'only' 24 MP on a full frame sensor, so the pixel size is almost like a 6MP on a 4/3 sensor.
I did use denoise profiled, but backed off to 50% from the default profile as I don't mind a bit of 'grain'.

Here's a screenshot from a 100% zoomed view, no denoise on right and as finished on left.View attachment 20060

Maybe I did more than I thought... here it is again, with color balance rgb and color equalizer switched off.... (that is, no colour changes from the RAW file other than the added saturation from increasing contrast in Sigmoid) I'm not sure what I prefer now!
View attachment 20061
Definitely the latter, that stark contrast from the haunted blues 👍

Personally I'd like a little confidence that how I imagine "Blenau Ffestiniog" is pronounced is anywhere near correct. Probably not, since I can't imagine how!! :) Might as well go for Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch ...

Definitely the latter, that stark contrast from the haunted blues 👍
Thanks Wes! Haunted blues... hmmmm. That's a good term!

I'd like a little confidence that how I imagine "Blenau Ffestiniog" is pronounced

As far as I am aware (as an Aussie of UK background living in England visiting Wales for the weekend... 😂 ) it's pronounced in English is more or less how it looks - Blen-ow Festin-ee-og.

But I may have it all wrong!!

Love the first one but (as I've mentioned elsewhere) I'd likely clone out the (3) wires crossing the road.
Thanks Gary! I hadn't considered doing that - will think about it.

Back