Critique Welcomed Four Views of Reclining Figure

Brian Moore

Reclining Figure is a 1981 sculpture by Henry Moore installed at the Segerstrom Plaza in Costa Mesa California. I shot these on Kodak Tri-X that I had accidentally left in the car for an unknown period of time. Canon F1 with Canon 17/f4.

Absolutely superb, Brian. Love them all but there a couple of touches I like especially. For example, the view through the torso in the first and they way it echoes the arch to the left and the partial mirroring of the arch by the figure in the last. Superb.

Absolutely superb, Brian. Love them all but there a couple of touches I like especially. For example, the view through the torso in the first and they way it echoes the arch to the left and the partial mirroring of the arch by the figure in the last. Superb.
Thanks Pete. Much appreciated. Your observations provoke a thought. When composing these images I wasn't consciously trying to echo or mirror the arch; I was just concentrating on finding interesting angles or views of the sculpture. So now I wonder how much my selection of the framing might have been driven by an unconscious appreciation of the similar shapes. On the other hand, maybe it just happened. Perhaps it's just the inherent serendipity of photography. Thanks again, Pete.

That is a fantastic set of pictures. The statue and buildings seem made for each other. You have capture the '80s feel of them both beautifully.

and here i was expecting portraits of my dad in his recliner. great set, but the statue looks huge in all of the shots. #2 set me straight on the actual size of it, but i really like the perspective of the others.

That is a fantastic set of pictures. The statue and buildings seem made for each other. You have capture the '80s feel of them both beautifully.
Thank you, Dave. Much appreciated.

and here i was expecting portraits of my dad in his recliner. great set, but the statue looks huge in all of the shots. #2 set me straight on the actual size of it, but i really like the perspective of the others.
:DThank you, Beth.

Back