John Holland

Gravensteen Castle (Ghent, Belgium)
Gravensteen_Castle_16May-47-74-Pano-2a.jpg

Ghent Canal
Ghent_Canal_16May-01-11-Pano.jpg

both images are multi frames, stitched together

Thank you Pete and Rob for your comments.

Rob, I guess they do not look like panoramas because of the aspect ratio is not 2:1, 3:1, or 4:1 (or som eother panorama aspect ratio). Why the multi-frame stitching? Two reasons, when I am traveling, I have to make a choice on the lenses that I carry (I tend to carry only two - trying to keep the camera bag as light). So usually see a scene I want to capture, but I do not have a wide enough lens (or I can get back far enough) to capture it all. So I shoot multiple frames to cover the scene (I am glad I am not shooting film at this point), and then combine them at home in Photoshop.

This provides me the scene I wanted, and I get a resulting image that allows for a large print (these will print out at 24 x36 inches or larger) without having to enlarge the image. In many cases, with the multiple frames, I can easily remove the "pesky tourist" from the frame.

How: I take several frames with a 25-33% overlap; bring them into Photoshop's Bridge RAW editor and do the broad stroke processing/adjustments. Then using Bridge's merge feature or Photoshop's merge feature, I stitch the images together (strangely, these two methods will produce two different results (sometimes the differences are slight) - I pick the one I like the best).

Another benefit is a pseudo photo-stacking to increase the DOF of the final image.

Oh, and I was shooting with a polarizing filter to cut the glare off the water and increase the sky/clouds contrast.

Clear as mud, right?

Very good John, unlike Rob, I was there in 2009 so for me, it is a long time ago. Before that year I used to frequent that town through work. And I appreciate the very good work you've done here and how. One question though which two lenses do you carry with you on a trip?

On the first the right hand side of the tower seems to be leaning away. Is that lens distortion? Do you do any vertical correction on each image before stitching? Are they a single row set of images or multiple rows?

I have always tended toward a single row and stitch in Lightroom.

Great result and wise use of the polarising filter.

Milan, I think it is lens distortion, but I need to go back and look at the individual frames. This image is multiple rows, and i did not do any correction before stitching -- the corrections were done post stitching. I may need to revisit this one.

It might have occurred in the stitching John? It is in a confined area as most of the image is spot on. There is some subtle tilting on the far right too. The few panos that I have done I try to do lens correction and some basic processing first then merge.

Two beautiful pictures, particularly like the first one. Thanks for the info on how you did them, very interesting.

Back