Greetings from Brisbane, QLD

Laurence Griffiths

Hello all,

I am a retired civil engineer from Brisbane's bayside and have been taking photos since my grandmother gave me a Kodak 127 'Brownie' as a sixth birthday present way back in the early 1960s.

Kodak 127 'Brownie' by Laurence Griffiths, on Flickr

A Kodak Instamatic 33 saw me through school and university days, but my first SLR camera was an Olympus OM-2N, which I bought with my first year of work's Christmas bonus cheque in December 1980. I still use Olympus / OM System cameras, but have had brief detours into Nikon and Canon. - I still have a Canon EOS 6D, which I take out from time to time.

Being born and brought up in South Africa and having worked both there and briefly in Rhodesia / Zimbabwe, I realised that the world that I knew was changing rapidly and I was determined to document the Africa that I saw. Admittedly this was mainly for selfish reasons. - I wanted to remember things I had seen and places I had been. Physically, I lived and worked in South Africa, Zimbabwe and New Zealand, before moving to Australia during 1994/1995.

Sometime during the early 1980s, I came to the realisation that a photographic print was a picture, whereas viewing a slide photo projected against a large screen was like looking through a window. I started to use slide film more and more. This turned out to be lucky as, in January 1985, our house was flooded during a major rain event. All my negatives and most of my prints were stored beneath a bench in my bedroom and were destroyed. But all my slides were in trays at the top of a cupboard and so escaped destruction, together with those prints which were in photo albums. Ever since those days I have been rather paranoic about backing up my images.

My first digital camera was an Olympus mju 500. My first DSLR was an Olympus E-300. My first mirrorless camera was an Olympus OM-D E-M1. At present my main "go to" camera is an Olympus / OM System OM-1, although I occasionally take the Canon EOS 6D and Oympus OM-D E-M1 Mk III out to play.

As my photography is primarily record keeping for my own benefit, I have tended to limit my editing of photos to reflect how the image looked to me at the time I took the photo. I never really got in to Photoshop and Lightroom, but use a combination of DxO PureRAW for noise reduction and lens correction purposes, before importing the resulting DNG files into Capture One Pro for all other editing.

I view my photography as an on-going learning experience and hope to be able to learn from the members of this forum and also, if possible, to pass on some of my own experience / knowledge.

Thank you for accepting me into this forum.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard, Laurence. I, too, have the 6D. Since getting back into film a few years back it doesn't come out to play as often as it used to, but I wouldn't be without it.

Welcome Laurence. And thank you for your detailed back-story. It's always interesting to learn how someone's journey brought them to where they are, and to here. By the way I have an Oly OM2n that I shoot with fairly regularly. I'm looking forward to seeing some of your photography.

Catching up with things after a few hectic days: Welcome to RPF, Laurence.
Like you I lost a lot of negatives and prints, over two decade's worth, to a flood twenty-five years ago although the slides survived. A burst water main in my case. Unlike you I'm not so philosphical about it. It still hurts when I think about it.

Catching up with things after a few hectic days: Welcome to RPF, Laurence.
Like you I lost a lot of negatives and prints, over two decade's worth, to a flood twenty-five years ago although the slides survived. A burst water main in my case. Unlike you I'm not so philosphical about it. It still hurts when I think about it.
What helped me was that family and an old girlfriend from school and university days had copies of some of the more meaningful prints. But it still hurts / irritates me when I think of it.

Welcome to RPF, Lawrence and what a great introduction. I'm glad you found us. :)

Some years back I was involved in an EU project about flood preparedness, especially with regards to items of cultural importance (my component was mainly about how to control against subsequent microbiological damage should a flood occur, and risk of infection when foul water gets mixed in with flood water when drains become inundated). One of the striking things to come out of the work was that most cultural archives were in basements / cellars and when the Elba caused widespread flooding in 2002 most of the historic document archives in Prague and Dresden were submerged. In Prague though they did the right thing and commandeered a disused industrial freezer complex and froze the documents one the floods had subsided. Even now they are still defrosting, washing, drying and then scanning and rebinding documents. Unfortunately many of the ones in Dresden were lost to fungal growth before they could be rescued.

Anyway, the lesson learned is to store it well above ground level and if it does get wet to dry it as quickly as you can and, if you can't then freeze it. It is amazing what you can rescue although I suspect that would not have helped in your situation, and the is advice coming way too late!

Laurence, you are among friends here, first and foremost. Welcome, really interested to se some of your slides, if possible.

Best, JT
Thank you for your welcome Julian. I last took slide photos about 25 years ago and most of them are over 30 years old. Over the years I have slowly been scanning them in to digital format. More recently I have found that Topaz Photo AI has been quite good at doing geometric corrections to my slides. - Lens correction and horizon levelling. I'll post some in the relevant places.

Welcome to RPF, Lawrence and what a great introduction. I'm glad you found us. :)

Some years back I was involved in an EU project about flood preparedness, especially with regards to items of cultural importance (my component was mainly about how to control against subsequent microbiological damage should a flood occur, and risk of infection when foul water gets mixed in with flood water when drains become inundated). One of the striking things to come out of the work was that most cultural archives were in basements / cellars and when the Elba caused widespread flooding in 2002 most of the historic document archives in Prague and Dresden were submerged. In Prague though they did the right thing and commandeered a disused industrial freezer complex and froze the documents one the floods had subsided. Even now they are still defrosting, washing, drying and then scanning and rebinding documents. Unfortunately many of the ones in Dresden were lost to fungal growth before they could be rescued.

Anyway, the lesson learned is to store it well above ground level and if it does get wet to dry it as quickly as you can and, if you can't then freeze it. It is amazing what you can rescue although I suspect that would not have helped in your situation, and the is advice coming way too late!
Thank you Pete. It is so sad to hear of historical images and documents being destroyed in this way. I suppose that is one way in which the digital age has been kind to us as photographers. - It is now so easy to back up our images, especially now that storage is relatively cheap.

But you'll still get those who are lackadaisical about backing up. They get no sympathy from me when they lose images. On the other hand, you get those (like myself) who go totally over the top and have multiple backup copies in a variety of places.
;)

Back