Critique Welcomed Hamburg Town Hall

My first reaction was: Is the Galaxy fixing convergence? but then I read further. Was the sky >THAT< blue or is that another s/w computation? And... where are all the people? Nice shot Bill.

My first reaction was: Is the Galaxy fixing convergence? but then I read further. Was the sky >THAT< blue or is that another s/w computation? And... where are all the people? Nice shot Bill.
G'day Gary,

In answer to your questions:- 1) No the Galaxy does not correct converging lines, as you read - Affinity Photo. 2) Yes the sky was really THAT blue, 3) It was 8am on Sunday morning, hence also partly answers Q2 (Sun almost directly behind me and low in the sky) and there was nobody about at all.

God bless the Photographers Ephemeris!

Actually it would not surprise me to find convergence correction becoming an option on mobile phones, after all even my $75 Redmi does plenoptic focus point adjustment! Only a matter of time.

Last edited:
@Bill Watts, I certainly don't have the expertise you have in photography, so please excuse me if I dare to attempt a critique of your photo. I feel justified in part by the fact that a “Critique welcomed” appears in your title.

This is how I see your photo. The building is definitely monumental as you would expect from a late 19th century City Hall. I would have liked less saturated colors, and to see life going on around it, with a few people and some daily stories. Then even if the lines weren't so straight, it wouldn't have mattered in this case.

Just personal impressions. Please pardon me.

Begging for another attempt with a wider lens straight on!
Picking up on what @Stefan Wilde observed, it does have a postcard vibe about. I mean that as a compliment. The colors are beautiful,...the saturation doesn't bother me as it does Gianluca. I generally abhor highly-saturated images, but this one doesn't feel like that to me. As you said, straight-on view with a wider lens would be interesting to see. As a critique I would offer this: It needs a bit of space on the left of the building. It's cut off there, or at least is so constricted as to seem so. Otherwise it's an interesting shot.

Picking up on what @Stefan Wilde observed, it does have a postcard vibe about. I mean that as a compliment. The colors are beautiful,...the saturation doesn't bother me as it does Gianluca. I generally abhor highly-saturated images, but this one doesn't feel like that to me. As you said, straight-on view with a wider lens would be interesting to see. As a critique I would offer this: It needs a bit of space on the left of the building. It's cut off there, or at least is so constricted as to seem so. Otherwise it's an interesting shot.
The difficult we do immediately, the impossible takes a little longer!

Camera: Olympus Air A-01
Lens: Olympus mZuiko 7-14mm F2.8
Exposure: f8, 1/500, ISO 200 @ 8mm (16mm equiv.)
Converging lines corrected in Affinity Photo 2 No other corrections

P7190303a.jpg

Gianluca, Brian, Thank you for your input

I must confess a like for the "Springfield" sky! but the last photo was taken earlier in the day around 7:15 so the sun was not as strong. I think the straight on view / converging lines correction has distorted the tower a little, what do you think?

Gianluca, Brian, Thank you for your input

I must confess a like for the "Springfield" sky! but the last photo was taken earlier in the day around 7:15 so the sun was not as strong. I think the straight on view / converging lines correction has distorted the tower a little, what do you think?

To my eyes, the photo doesn't look perfectly horizontal; it seems to me to lean a little to the right. As for the distortion, I don't know, but it's possible that there is a slight distortion, I've noticed that sometimes this happens with automatic alignment tools. Or maybe the real tower is truly a little bit twisted.

I think Gianluca is right. If you compare the positions of the two lower corners of the building you'll see that the right corner is a little closer to the lower frame edge than is the left corner. As to the tower, it does seem a bit distorted. Maybe it's bending ever so slightly to the right.

There is another geometric aspect to consider.
If such a tall building is artificially straightened so that slanting vertical lines become straight vertical lines, one's perception of the photo is as if it was taken from a certain height (exactly from half the height of the building). A software that allows this straightening should take this fact into account and consequently increase the height of the building because it is no longer seen from below, but from its middle height. Otherwise the building will appear shorter than real after straightening.
I use Darktable to develop the raw files, and Darktable allows me to straighten the verticals at the same time adapting the heights to the new point of view, I suppose this is also feasible in commercial software, but I don't know.

The vertical compression caused by the software is clearly visible in the tower clock that should be a circle, not a an ellipse. Why is this? Because straightening the lines means you switch from perspective to prospect, and in prospects the circles are circular.

EDIT: Probably in English the term is "Elevation" non "Prospect". I'm not sure, sorry.

Last edited:
The vertical compression caused by the software is clearly visible in the tower clock that should be a circle, not a an ellipse. Why is this? Because straightening the lines means you switch from perspective to prospect, and in prospects the circles are circular.
Perspective can be changed using the same tool in Affinity Photo, Photoshop etc you just drag both handles directly up the same amount.

I'd like to know @Brian Moore's thoughts on correcting perspective distortions in architectural photos when dealing with very tall buildings, because he has more experience on the subject than I do. Bill, you probably already know that there is a nice series of posts by @Darren Bradley on the basics of architectural photography in this forum (one episode here: https://realphotographersforum.com/...al-photography-part-iv-basic-techniques.2947/).

In my limited experience, straight lines are preferable if you can get them without sacrificing a believable rendering, otherwise you can opt for perspective.

I'd like to know @Brian Moore's thoughts on correcting perspective distortions in architectural photos when dealing with very tall buildings
It's a tough nut to crack, Gianluca. If you're correcting the perspective with software in post you need to be far enough away from the tall building to be able to get it all in your frame while leaving enough space around it to allow for straightening. But because most tall buildings are in cities and surrounded by other buildings getting a clear shot is nigh on impossible. It can be done though, if the circumstances are right. Your other alternatives are to accept the fact that it's a tall building and shoot up, or to frame and accentuate abstracts of the building. I have a couple of shift lenses that I use from time-to-time. One is a Canon 24mm Tilt-Shift and the other is an Olympus 35mm Shift (no tilt) lens. But most of the time I correct perspective in the post-processing phase. In the past I have relied on getting verticals right just by "eye-balling" the vertical adjustment in the Lightroom Transform module, and going with what looks best. But recently I've used the "Guided" feature, which works quite well I think.

I think the straight on view / converging lines correction has distorted the tower a little, what do you think?
Since the clock dial is likely round and not elliptical, I'd say yes: there's been some distortion (well the top of the tower is also likely not likely listing to starboard.

I also prefer the second both because of the colour and the aspect. The contrast is higher on the left side (due to the shadows I assume) and I find that draws my eye. I would be tempted to try to increase the contrast (and maybe the blacks also) on the right-hand side to compensate.

For perspective correction I nearly always use Edit/Transform/Distort in PhotoShop as I find it gives me the best control and allows one to sort out centre-point issues and other corrections in a more ‘visually pleasing' way.

Back