Homage To Derek Bailey

Ah, Syd Barret was an early hero. Happy to see his influence finally break through.

We had a family discussion recently about how people are happy to accept radical experimentation in art (not just painting) but not so much in music. I wondered if it was because music takes longer to make its statement, so needs sustained attention. Ah well, it's all fun.

Great video Rob!
My wife and I, being obsessive music lovers, once went to see a performance by Mr. Bailey, it would have been the late 1990s or thereabouts.
Now, I love all sorts of music and some of it is what has been described as 'difficult' - I have been known to do the washing up to the soundtrack of Trout Mask Replica or The Mothers' 'Son of Monster Magnet'. But this was the first and, so far, only time that I have ever walked out of a performance by anyone. Many (actually...most) people left before we did, so you can't say we didn't give it a chance!
Now, however, I do actually rather regret having done so, but it was pretty tough going with rather more tapping on the body and such-like than playing conventionally. I noted with a reminiscent smile to myself that your video shows a bit of the plinking the strings in the area behind the bridge, which he seemed quite keen on doing!

Last edited:
Good post, Chris. I love Trout Mask Replica, one of the greatest albums of all time! As for Mr Bailey, he was good when he was good, bad when he was bad, like normal musicians, so maybe you had reason to walk out.

Back