I do like a good forum..

Tom Aspin

Being a keen reader of 35mmc, and been infected with the photography bug since 1980, I thought I would swing by. Looking forward to some good natured discussions with some similarly afflicted souls.

Ooo lika Leica… but BETTER!
Only anout 2700 Reids were made, and I have 2. Apparently they were made to higher tolerances than the Leica, and werea good bit more expensive in their time . Cameraworks say they can service these, so the one in the picture will go off for a service in the near future. Quite looking forward to seeing results from the f2 Taylor Hobson lens.
My other one has damaged chrome on the top plate, so need to save up to get that one sorted

I understand that a lot were bought by the British military. A friend had one in his collection and I think he said that was ex-War Department, but I don't know if they were marked with the usual arrow motif. Are yours?
Neither of mine are marked like that. I believe they were on general sale for a short while - probably a well off doctors or solicitors camera.. I seem to remember my late father telling me that they became uncompetitive in the market place after the government on the day ( early 50's?) lifted import tariffs on imported cameras.
I used to have three of them, however I had to sell the best one due to being flat broke at the time.

Last edited:
Back