Brian Moore

The Rainier Square Tower in Seattle is quite an interesting building. It sits adjacent to the Rainier Tower, designed by Minoru Yamasaki (the architect who designed World Trade Center in New York) which is famous for its tapered pedestal. When I moved to Seattle in 2020 the first building that caught my attention was the Rainier Square Tower, which was then still under construction. (It's the second tallest building in the city so it was easy to see from afar.)

I subsequently took many photographs of the Rainier Square Tower. The architects took care to design a sloping face on the east side of the building so as not to obscure from view the older, more celebrated, Rainier Tower. This sloping facade is what is most often pictured in photographs of the Rainier Square Tower.

With Inflection Point, however, I wanted to feature the concave "scoop" that the architects have designed into the northwest corner of the building. It rises several stories from ground level. In this photo, the point at which the converging lines meet is the point at which the north and west facades of the building join at right angles and thereupon soar rather magnificently skyward together.

This is an infrared photo I made with my Sigma Quattro SD, Sigma 30/1.4 Art lens, and Hoya R72 filter.

It’s a magnificent photo, Brian. You have become quite a master of architectural features. Talk about leading lines! And the curve is just delicious - stupid word, but it's all I can think of at this moment. And your placement of the apex is off-centre by a perfect amount. I can’t say enough good things about it.

It’s a magnificent photo, Brian. You have become quite a master of architectural features. Talk about leading lines! And the curve is just delicious - stupid word, but it's all I can think of at this moment. And your placement of the apex is off-centre by a perfect amount. I can’t say enough good things about it.
Thanks Rob. I appreciate it.

Back