International Civil Rights Center & Museum

Glenn Clabo

It's housed in the original store in Greensboro, NC
woolworth.jpg

Original lunch counter and stools where the Greensboro Four...Ezell Blair, Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil and David Richmond... began their protest on Feb. 1, 1960
counter.jpg

Although I was raised outside of Boston...as a son of a southerner...I remember asking why when we went to visit...
sign 2.jpg
sign.jpg

All shot with an old Point and Shoot...processed Silver Efex

Great stuff, Glenn. I love these folk museums, containing things within living memory. They you look around you now to see what might feature in a museum in decades to come.

Our local Woolworths finally closed last year, or was it two years ago?

The coloured drinking fountain is chilling.

Great stuff, Glenn. I love these folk museums, containing things within living memory. They you look around you now to see what might feature in a museum in decades to come.

Our local Woolworths finally closed last year, or was it two years ago?

The coloured drinking fountain is chilling.
Thank you Rob...what's chilling for me is that it happened in my life time. We have come a long way...but there still is a long way to go.

What an interesting series Glenn and a piece of history I knew nothing about. I like the presentation very much.
Thanks Pete...as I get older "history" has a very different meaning. It shocks me to think I was alive at a time when many of my now most cherished friends would not be allowed to drink out of the same water fountain as me. These young men and women stood up to something that could and did cause them their momentary comfort and freedom (and lives for many) for something so much more long term. It does make me question the wiring in our human brains...including my own father.

Last edited:
Thank you Glenn. It reminds me also of an incident I experienced in Long Beach California in 1967. For an 18 year old from Norway who had never come across rasism or even heard of it. A philipino friend and I were stopped at an amusement park. My friend was not allowed entrance. Needless to say, none of us entered. Very well spotted and executed.

Back