Kipon Shift Adapter for Nikon Lens to Sony NEX E mount

Hamish Gill

Tech Support (and Marketing)
I have for a long time liked the idea of a wide angle shift lens. I really like the dramatic effect they have on architecture but really cant justify the expense. At some stage I am going to have to return Pete's 45mm pc-e too. So, I thought Id take a punt on the Kipon shift adapter for mounting Nikon lens on Sony NEX cameras.
To be honest, reading some of the stuff I found online about this sort of thing I expected it to be rubbish, but actually early impressions are pretty positive with only a few seemingly minor caveats.

Here is my 17mm tamron sp mounted shifted by 12 mm.

NEX5n with 17mm tamron sp via Kipon shift adapter by Hamish_Gill, on Flickr

With the hood on the lens I get quite a bit of darkening to the top of the frame, but with it off there is only a smidge at the far extent of the shift.

Another of the lens

A close up of the scale

My Manfrotto tripod didnt fit, so I went to LCE to find a smaller one ... Even the smallest manfrotto ball head wouldn't fit and allow the adjustment screw to rotate freely. I had to dig this cheapy small slik ball head out my box of bits. Thankfully it mounts quite well and is strong enough to support the weight.

Because of this there is no built in bubble level to rely on so I'm going to bluetack this bubble level to the flat part of the top of the camera. At some point I'm looking to get a hot shoe adapter, but for now, this will do!

Here you can see lens release (closest to the lens). The screw thread for shifting and the release for the rotation of the mount. The listings on ebay aren't particularly clear about the rotation ... it does rotate 360 degrees on this camera, the screw doesn't even hit the grip. The only issue is that the release switch is very fiddley and unscrews really easily ... I can see it going missing!

So yeah, they we go... so far so good!
This 17mm gives me 26mm ish equivalent with about 11mm of darkening free shift ... shame its not a better lens really... not that its a bad one, just not to hot on digital ... but thats a whole other story!
Demo images to come!

(Images taken with the Sony RX100)

... Ive not taken a shot thats good enough to try yet Pete ...
At the far extent it might not be easy at all, but at 11mm id guess it would be pretty easy! 10mm I'm expecting to still find some darkening, but nothing that might not just work at a bit of nd on the sky ;)
Daft question, I assume shift upward is called "rise"?

Well, in LF terms, it depends on which standard you are referring to. This would be equivalent to front rise or rear fall. Generally people refer to front standard movements (as many field cameras only have rise and fall on the front) and so this would be the same. Never simple, eh?!

no, it bloody isnt when it comes to this sort of thing ...
Are you going to want that 45mm back soon ... I think I might have to buy one! Its incredibly useful in the studio! And actually perfect optically as far as I can tell! On the d800, its nothing short of stunning ... ill post a 100% crop on that speaker photo ... hang on ...

- - - Updated - - -

... cant do that, I forgot, I archived it ... ah well ... Its, sharp!

Back