Lomography Turquoise Samples

Wes Hall

Shot at ISO 400 on OM-1 and Tamron SP90.

Scanned with Sigma SD15 and EX DG Macro 50 f.2.8

I like the palette and effect of this stock, it's capable of revealing details that wouldn't be picked out by a more traditional colour negative stock, almost IR like details such as the venation on the butterflies wing.

But, it's definitely more of a challenge than lomochrome purple to balance for representative results I've found.

1000014562-01.jpeg1000014564-01.jpeg1000014563-01.jpeg

I like those results, Wes, especially the butterfly. Not as extreme as some of the other samples I've seen, if I'm thinking of the same film.
How do you balance out the more extreme cast/hues.whatever? I'm guessing just white balance will get at least part way?

I like those results, Wes, especially the butterfly. Not as extreme as some of the other samples I've seen, if I'm thinking of the same film.
How do you balance out the more extreme cast/hues.whatever? I'm guessing just white balance will get at least part way?
That's essentially it- I've used Rawtherapee for a while now, it has a good film negative converter built in. I wish I could say it's scientific, but it's trial and error selecting various areas of the image to get the hues I expect.

What I have observed, is that it's often the highlight areas which produce the most effective colour balance, not always a neutral grey area. I've tried to use the histogram as well to look for when there is a spot that has an even distribution of the RGB channels for the initial WB.

And thanks, the tones were more muted than I'd been expecting from the samples I'd seen (and I shot it at the ISO I'd seen the most saturation from). The lab scans as low Res JPEG files were too subtle to really see the stocks abilities.

Weather was sunny, with very well lit indoor environment (think old Victorian glass house).

Back